Tannin Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon my ignorance but what does "tannin" taste like. I've always thought of it as more of a mouth feel thing but read about possible astringent flavors etc... ie: I add black tea to my cider for tannins to give it more body and to take the edge off the tartness when it's consumed young.

Right now I'm thinking astringent bitter... maybe like burnt coffee. Am I on the right track?

I think post #24 may answer your question. I'm not %100 sure it is tannin, but it's definately not bitterness. I don't know how better to describe it.

Pardon my ignorance but what does "tannin" taste like. I've always thought of it as more of a mouth feel thing but read about possible astringent flavors etc... ie: I add black tea to my cider for tannins to give it more body and to take the edge off the tartness when it's consumed young.

Right now I'm thinking astringent bitter... maybe like burnt coffee. Am I on the right track?

Tannin DOESN'T taste like anything...you are correct. It's a mouthfeel, not a flavor. Every time I hear someone refer to it as a flavor I want to scream.

Agreed. I think this point was made a while back. That's why I avoided using the term flavor in my last post. I would change the title of the entire thread if I could, but I don't know if that is even possible.

Agreed. I think this point was made a while back. That's why I avoided using the term flavor in my last post. I would change the title of the entire thread if I could, but I don't know if that is even possible.

Don't worry about me....I'm just OCD like that!

When do we get to hear about the results? Ive been using RO for a year now and I think I understand what your describing, I just think. I've been noticing the same constant mouthful in each of my beers since January. At first I believed it to be a sanitation problem now Im wondering if its my RO water. I think ill be reading a little bit more on water treatment on RO.

Post 37 summs up the results so far on my batch with 50% RO and 50% Tap water. I seem to be detecting some slight improvement. I have bewed with this process change a few times and am waiting to see if the other batches also show improvement. Additionally, I want to see how it changes as it ages. I'll update again when I have more conclusive results.

Back