Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c130drvr

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered. I'm new to the forum and couldn't find it.

SOOO....I'm using Beersmith. I'm batch sparging for 60 minutes and doing a 10 minute mash out on a 5 gallon recipe.

After collecting both runnings in my boil kettle I came away with less than 5 gallons. Using my refractometer if I measure my approximate 4 gallons I got 18 brix. So is my efficiency based on what I got or is it based on bringing the volume up to 5 gallons. I brought my boil volume up to 7.3 gallons which gets me to approx 5 gallons after 60 mins. Is my efficiency based on the OG at 4, 5 or 7.3 gallons?

A lil' help!

Thanks!!!

c130drvr said:
Sorry if this has been covered. I'm new to the forum and couldn't find it.

SOOO....I'm using Beersmith. I'm batch sparging for 60 minutes and doing a 10 minute mash out on a 5 gallon recipe.

After collecting both runnings in my boil kettle I came away with less than 5 gallons. Using my refractometer if I measure my approximate 4 gallons I got 18 brix. So is my efficiency based on what I got or is it based on bringing the volume up to 5 gallons. I brought my boil volume up to 7.3 gallons which gets me to approx 5 gallons after 60 mins. Is my efficiency based on the OG at 4, 5 or 7.3 gallons?

A lil' help!

Thanks!!!

Any of those. Efficiency is a measure of the extracted sugar, which won't change as you dilute. As long as you use a gravity that corresponds to the volume, you'll get the right answer.

Back