Ideal cooler for 12 inch domed false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieboot

Reaction score
Hey,

I got a free 12 inch domed false bottom a while back and am now looking into buying a cooler to use as a mash tun.

I hope to be doing an equal number of 5 and 10 gallon batches.

Was planning on buying a 10 gallon Rubbermaid but read that it may be a bit small for the higher gravity 10 gallon batches.

Which other coolers would this false bottom fit giving me enough flexibility to do a variety of beers and batch sizes? Any recommendations?

Cheers

$140? Really? Wow. Do you plan on doing 10 gallon batches of high gravity stuff? If not, the 10 gallon cooler is fine.

Yeah, I believe the practical maximum for a 10 gallon batch in a 10 gallon tun is 1.060 or thereabouts. I don't think the round coolers normally come in sizes larger than 10 gallons, so that's really your only choice if you want to use the false bottom with it. I have a 12" domed false bottom in my 10 gallon round cooler mash tun and it works beautifully. You might consider having a round cooler shipped to you instead of buying there if they're so expensive there. If you're trying for higher gravity 10 gallon batches then you're looking at a rectangular cooler with a manifold. The false bottom won't fit properly in a rectangular cooler.

Back