Blowoff, finally!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
After a dozen batches I finally got big enough fermentation to actually need a blowoff tube. But I have to wonder as I watch this stout blow chocolate colored foam - is the foam in the tube remaining fluid? There is serious CO2 coming from this thing but I don't see the foam moving in the blowoff tube. Does the foam ever clog a blowoff?
I know - RDWHAHB right?

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak said:
After a dozen batches I finally got big enough fermentation to actually need a blowoff tube. But I have to wonder as I watch this stout blow chocolate colored foam - is the foam in the tube remaining fluid? There is serious CO2 coming from this thing but I don't see the foam moving in the blowoff tube. Does the foam ever clog a blowoff?
I know - RDWHAHB right?

I just had my first blowoff also - oddly enough on an Irish stout. I was concerned too because nothing started in my airlock until about 20 hrs passed. It made a mess but I was glad to wipe it up.

Just watch for bubbling in your sanitizer or whatever the tube is in. If you have active fermentation and nothing coming from the blowoff then maybe its clogged. at this point you risk a blown off lid (if using a bucket). Last time that happened, had to scrub krausen off the bathroom ceiling!

The foam should be pushed along the tube by the pressure. If your tube is fairly long and has a high point, I have seen it disolve onto liquid and run down the tube back into the fermenter. Push gently on the bucket lid and verify that it expels pressure into the blowoff discharge liquid. If not, It's likely plugged and should be removed and cleaned.

The tube is bubbling in the jug of sanitizer solution. That's why I haven't already done something. It just seems like there should be noticeable movement of the stuff in the tube.

The tube is bubbling in the jug of sanitizer solution. That's why I haven't already done something. It just seems like there should be noticeable movement of the stuff in the tube.

The CO2 only needs a small opening to get through. The stuff in the tube is pretty viscous. It's going to coat the inside of the tube and LOOK like a clog, but the CO2 can escape.

Have you seen all the exciting "fermentation" videos on youtube? They'll show you what the deal is.

I have Citra IPA krausen all over my ceiling. Time for a blow off instead of an airlock

Latest posts

Back