First time with liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odh2507

Reaction score
GOt some white labs liquid yeast. First shot w the liquid yeast. Its in the fridge now. And it seems to have separated from solids and liquids. Is this normal? If i shake it, it mixes again. I assume this is normal, but figured id check

Yes, yeast flocculates at low temperatures and when there is nothing left to ferment, this is why your beer becomes clear as fermentation finishes.

The yeast will not stay in suspension if there is nothing to ferment, or if the temperature is too low for the yeast type.

I ususally direct everyone who is new at using liquid cultures to Mr. Malty this is a very informative site, and will teach you all the basics you need to know about liquid yeast, and their proper use.

One tip- once you shake it well, GENTLY crack open the top and let it degas before opening the top all of the way. Unless you want all of the yeast all over your brew room, that is. I wish someone would have told me that the first time! :drunk:

@schnitz. Thanks for the link. Good info. And yooper. Thanks for the heads up. Lol.

Good to go. Thanks guys

Yooper said:
One tip- once you shake it well, GENTLY crack open the top and let it degas before opening the top all of the way. Unless you want all of the yeast all over your brew room, that is. I wish someone would have told me that the first time! :drunk:

+1000 every now and again I forget to go slow and feel like a total dumass when yeast spews all over the place

Yooper said:

YES! I could have used a little advanced warning, myself.

That happened to me earlier when I went to make my starter. Shook it so much and forgot to slowly open the cap. It didn't spew all over the place, but it did get all over my hands. All is good; the starter is humming along nicely.

Back