Neglected mother:)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmcdowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I successfully grew a mother from a bottle of GT's. Then I was hot and heavy drinking it. Wound up with 6 mothers. Then Christmas hit and stopped drinking it and stopped taking care of the mothers. They have been sitting undisturbed for 3 months now. No visible sign of mold.

So know I don't know what to do. Do I start over, or just add fresh tea to a mother and start producing again?

Thanks

There is only one word between in-laws and outlaws that said yeast tend to take care of themselves pretty well give them some nutrients and see where it goes.

I successfully grew a mother from a bottle of GT's. Then I was hot and heavy drinking it. Wound up with 6 mothers. Then Christmas hit and stopped drinking it and stopped taking care of the mothers. They have been sitting undisturbed for 3 months now. No visible sign of mold.

So know I don't know what to do. Do I start over, or just add fresh tea to a mother and start producing again?

Thanks

If they look good just make up a new tea/sugar solution and put them in with a 1/4 cup of the liquid they are in now.

On a side note, you can prolly use the liquid they are in now as "Kombucha Vinegar" in place of white or cider vinegar.

I know a mother I would like to neglect!. Any hoo, just feed them, see how it goes.

Just start a new batch. I had one that was in the same situation. It took an extra week or so to finish the batch, but she recovered nicely b

Back