advice on purchasing keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
No homebrew stores around, so I buy everything off the internet. I have an ancient fridge, I think a 1979 (it was free and still works great). I measured from floor to freezer compartment, which holds cooling coils, and it is about 26-26.5". From reading that would be pushing it for a ball lock keg, however I think I have plenty of depth (primary bucket fits...barely but it fits) The best option of the few I have seen that carry pin lock is cornykeg.com.
a few questions

1. They sale pin lock, cleaned pin lock, refurbished pin lock, and *pin* lock converted to *ball* lock. Is there any reason I would want a refurbished keg over the cleaned keg? I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the cleaned keg yet the refurbished ones are a couple dollars more. Isn't that backwards?

2. Does anyone think there is a chance people will eventually quit selling pin lock parts? If so should I get the converted keg or does that increase chance of problems? I'm sure if I have to I can modify the freezer compartment to squeeze a ball lock in.

1. the cleaned ones are just that. they get the keg from where ever and clean it, check that it holds pressure and nothing else. with the refurbished ones they most likely do all that and replace the gaskets or any other parts that need it.

wow guess i should have looked a few threads down on this forum. I am purchasing some soon as well so I am eager to see the replies.

My LHBS sells used 5 gallon cornies for $50.59 so I want to find some locally

I'm guessing that the "ball lock converted to pin lock" is a ball lock size keg with pin lock posts, which wouldn't do you any good at all. If you're worried about finding parts you'd want to do the opposite, by finding some pin lock kegs and switching out the posts for ball locks.

As TipsyDragon said, a cleaned keg has just been rinsed out. A refurbished keg has most likely been cleaned, had the 0-rings replaced, and any sticky poppets or other bad parts replaced.

yeah, nevermind, there's a guy on the other side of memphis with a ton of pin locks all nice and shiny for $20 each.

Latest posts

Back