Added Juice Post-Fermentation-Good or Bad Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrice80

Reaction score
Alright, this idea might get some major "bad idea" remarks but hear me out. I brewed a Blueberry Belgian Wit and used 3 lbs of fresh blueberries in my primary and one can of Oregon Blueberry Puree in my secondary. I wanted a blueberry beer comparable to the Wild Blue beer, has a lot of blueberry taste. So I kegged and carbed it and almost any hint of blueberry fermented out, in my opinion.

Since I was pretty disappointed, I threw in 1 jug of blueberry juice into the keg and will let it sit for a few days, in kegerator. So, have you heard of anyone doing this or do you think it's a bad idea? I'm thinking the breweries must do something comparable because it has sooo much blueberry flavor and it doesn't have an artificial taste. Curious to see feedback. Thanks!

I do it with every fruit beer that I make. I think what your problem is, seeing as blueberries really don't have a very strong flavor, the subtle flavor compounds ended up leaving the fermenter with the escaping CO2 from primary. That is one main advantage of putting the fruit in the secondary, when the majority of the fermentation is complete. From my experience, depending upon how much fruit I'm adding and what type (juice/puree/whole), I'll add juice/puree a few days before I'm going to package. I've found that I get the most fruit flavor/aroma that way. For whole fruit, I'll add that to primary (about 10# for a typical five gallon batch) and, more than likely, top it off in secondary with either the same juice or puree that I used in primary.

1lb of fruit to 1 gallon beer is my general rule. If I want a lot of flavor, I increase it. And I do it in the secondary only too.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with the juice.

I did a watermelon wheat where I added watermelon juice to secondary and it turned out great. No worries, you're good. I don't think I'd try to clone Wild Blue, but to each their own. :mug:

I did a watermelon wheat where I added watermelon juice to secondary and it turned out great. No worries, you're good. I don't think I'd try to clone Wild Blue, but to each their own. :mug:

I know no one will believe it, lol, but my girlfriend loves Wild Blue. I didn't try to clone it, just wanted something close to that amount of blueberry taste. I'm actually surprised how many people have added juice post-fermentation. I thought I would catch all types of flack for that!

Make beer, add 2 ounces of blueberry syrup per glass. Fill glass with beer over syrup. Stir. Enjoy. (or vomit, your choice)

I"m sooo glad i found this post! I just added 2 qt of pear juice to a dubbel belgian base recipe after primary...no activity yet but its in a very cool air conditioned area so ikm thinking its a slow starter(i hope) my final grav was good i hope it pics up..could it be stuck?just curious.

You might be better off making malt liquor instead of a Belgian wit. That would get you close to wild blue.

Back