washed yeast. which layer is yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintageBC

Reaction score
I read the yeast washing tutorial yesterday, and proceeded to washed Wyeast 3333 last night. What you see in the photo is what I'm left with 21 hours later. The yeast layer is the darker of the two, sitting on top of the most bottom layer. Am I correct here?

Photo%20on%202009-12-22%20at%2014.22.jpg

Hm, ours is the same way, with the lighter colored stuff settled to the very bottom. We just use regular jelly jars.

Thanks for the responses. I have a second jar and the yeast has fallen the same way, it is not nearly as narrow. Should I go ahead and decant these and top with clean water?

Thanks for the responses. I have a second jar and the yeast has fallen the same way, it is not nearly as narrow. Should I go ahead and decant these and top with clean water?

Yeah I'd give them another wash and that may set the layers. In 40 or so jars of yeast I've washed, I've never seen the trub on top of the yeast. Kinda strange.

I've seen this before on very highly flocculant yeast, especially in cold water. The yeast falls out before the trub. It was in a flask, too, so the narrowness of the vessel isn't the issue.

Yeah I'd give them another wash and that may set the layers. In 40 or so jars of yeast I've washed, I've never seen the trub on top of the yeast. Kinda strange.

Attachments

• 69D4B9E4-A389-4199-9ACE-741983E59B7F.jpeg
    69D4B9E4-A389-4199-9ACE-741983E59B7F.jpeg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 12
Back