Adding Fermentables w/15 min. left...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm trying to copy a recipe ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/fullers-esb-54136/ ) scroll to the bottom. In the recipe it calls for the addition of corn sugar and the LME at 15 mins left to the boil. This is new to my procedures, I always thought that the fermentables had to boil at least for 60 min to help collect and drop the 'bad proteins' and stuff. I realize there is a hop addition at the same time and I understand about the hops and fermentable interactions I'm just wondering if 15 min will be enough time.

Thanks for any info on late addition fermentables.

LME has already been boiled once, so it's already had a hot break and doesn't need a long boil. Corn sugar is pretty much just sugar and only needs to be dissolved. I add things like that just before flame out and turn off the heat as soon as they're incorporated, so 15 minutes is just fine. Helps to keep from darkening your LME in the boil too.

When you say it's been boiled once, you mean in the malting process itself? So the extract itself right out of the can has had a hot break already? I brew with 100% LME and I thought it was always having a hot break. Is that the second hot break? Sorry, I'm only 10 batches into this and I'm just trying to understand a bit of the chemistry. Still with 15 min. left there is time for another hot break I was just worried it wouldn't be long enough.
Thanks for your reply/help!

When they make LME, they basically brew a batch of beer with just base malt and no hops (unless you get hopped malt extract or use the darker LME's that will have some specialty malts in it). They boil the wort pretty much like you would if you did all grain and then they concentrate it by removing some of the water and sell it. So all you really HAVE to do with it is add water and you have the same post-boil wort they ended up with. You might get a little hot break, but nothing to be really worried about if you do or don't.

You can add it at any point in the boil that your recipe needs it to be added. I do partial mash with large amounts of grain so I pretty much end up with the same wort an all-grain brewer has when I start boiling, just less of it. I treat it like I would an all grain batch through the boil, just smaller.

Then, at the end, I add my LME and boil it just enough to make sure things are sanitary and after cooling I top up with water to my full volume. I'm basically just using a little LME and water to make up the difference between my partial boil and a full boil.

Back