Hit five stops around San Francisco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
To clarify, I was traveling with kids and some of these stops were lunches, so I wasn't really able to sample the number of brews that I would have wanted. But I was glad to get to these places.

First was 21st Amendment on a Sunday evening. Had the Jerk Chicken and two pints of the Back in Black, which is sort of a Black IPA. (oddly, they didn't have their regular IPA available.) Then I ordered a Double Trouble Imperial IPA, while the wife got another specialty Double IPA of which the name escapes me. She didn't care for it, so I drank both. Fortunately we were cabbing it home.

Next we visited Jupiter, in Berkley. Great Pizza. The beer was terrific as well and I had a Red Spot, an Amber, and the IPA. Took the BART home.

Next day at lunch we rented a car and drove up the coast and went inland to Russian River. Had a Blind Pig, a Pliny the Elder, and when the girls went for a short shopping trip I sat at the bar and had the Porter. The wife drove the first hour after that.

The next day we drove south and stumbled quite by accident onto the Half Moon Bay Brewing Company. We weren't even looking for it, but it was lunchtime. Hate it when that happens. Nice location right on the water. Had the IPA and an Amber...and some Fish Tacos. Nice beers. Wish I could have tried more, but again, cars and kids. Damn..

Last was Tasty Bear for a quick lunch on Thursday. Had just one 22 oz IPA as we had to keep moving. The menu (spanish) is really good, but it was a tough one with little kids. Had some Tapas and moved on. Again, wish I could have sampled more brews.

T-Shirt Haul. Didn't get one from Tasty Bear. Brain fade.

shirts.jpg

There are so many wonderful beer spots in that city! Plus it's really easy and cheap to get around with public transport, so there is no need to limit yourself. (Unless you've got cars and kids!!) Be sure to hit up the San Francisco Brewing Company, and Magnolia.

Did you mean Thirsty Bear? On Howard street? On my last SF trip, my girl and I took the bus there and were mortified to find it closed...it was some kind of bank holiday, and all the businesses in the financial district were closed. I stood there by the door reading the posted menu, and this scruffy looking young guy walks up to me, opens his wallet and shows me his drivers license. I had no idea what he wanted, so I just shook my head and turned away. The guy goes ballistic, and stomps off while screaming obscenities at me...took me a few minutes, but I finally realized he thought I was the bouncer, and was refusing him entry!

Never did get to try their beers. Next time!

Did you mean Thirsty Bear? On Howard street? On my last SF trip, my girl and I took the bus there and were mortified to find it closed...it was some kind of bank holiday, and all the businesses in the financial district were closed. I stood there by the door reading the posted menu, and this scruffy looking young guy walks up to me, opens his wallet and shows me his drivers license. I had no idea what he wanted, so I just shook my head and turned away. The guy goes ballistic, and stomps off while screaming obscenities at me...took me a few minutes, but I finally realized he thought I was the bouncer, and was refusing him entry!

Heh. Yes, of course I meant the Thirsty Bear. I must have still been drunk when I wrote that. :eek:

I also was in the San Francisco area last weekend. Went to the following breweries. Did the samplers at every place.

21st Amendment - I tried their Watermelon Wheat......not my favorite.
Thirsty Bear - Tried their Brown Ale.
San Francisco Brewing Company - Beer was good.
Pizza Orgasmica & Brewing co - Excellent pizza and the beer was good to.

Russian River - Excellent beer.
Third Street Ale Works - Good
Pyramid Brewing Co - Good
Marin Brewing Co - Good
Moylans Brewing Co - Very good
Tied House - OK
Jacks Brewing Co - Least favorite

I will be going back in three weeks for round two.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

I was in SF this weekend too, looks like you scored much better than I did on the beer front! It's ok, I had a pretty good IPA but have no idea what kind it was, I just asked for whatever was on tap. :mug:

Latest posts

Back