Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawDeuce22

Reaction score
What is everyones opinions or experiences on growlers...*EDIT*...for bottleing.

Are they worth it or dont waste time with them?

Depends on what you use them for. I have 4 and think they are great for sharing. I recommend tossing the metal caps and getting the plastic ones that actually seal.

I think they're great. I use them all the time to take my beer on the road. I keg but if I'm going somewhere and want to bring some beer with me I just fill them off the tap.

They're all right, but you can get better results with a carbonator cap and a few plastic 2-liter soda bottles. Either dump out, or drink the soda/soda water, clean it out, and you can carb up flat beer in about 10 minutes.

They're all right, but you can get better results with a carbonator cap and a few plastic 2-liter soda bottles. Either dump out, or drink the soda/soda water, clean it out, and you can carb up flat beer in about 10 minutes.

This is a very good idea above if you don't mind going ghetto. :D

The brown swing toppers are great. I got one for Christmas along with the tap. Its nice for serving at a party.

growler-romantic.jpg
growler-tap.jpg

BTW - I think the swing toppers will hold carbonation longer. My buddies use jug-style and their beer is almost always very low carbed or flat.

This is a very good idea above if you don't mind going ghetto. :D

The brown swing toppers are great. I got one Christmas along with the tap. Its nice for serving at a party.

growler-romantic.jpg
growler-tap.jpg

ooo, somebody sprung for the nice handle. Pretttttty

ooo, somebody sprung for the nice handle. Pretttttty

I have had the sucker filled at least a dozen times at the local micros since Christmas. Every time I get it filled somebody comments about the handle.

I know I asked for the right thing. Santa also has good taste. FYI - He's a hophead. He makes a nice IPA with Glacier & Northern Brewer. :D

Some of us are not as cool as Schlenkerla. I go ghetto by refilling growlers to head over to friends with homebrew. I usually turn up the co2 a little while before filling it up so it has a little extra for the trip.

Here is me emptying one with the actual product in it. :)

P1040807.JPG

MMM...... That was a good Amber Ale, I just might have to try and clone it.

This isn't ghetto.

Plastic soda bottles are though. Especially the clear RC bottles (label still attached). Now the Dad's 2ltrs in brown are a step up.

Using the green Mt Dew bottles... that's just Euro-Trash - IMO :D

Some of us are not as cool as Schlenkerla. I go ghetto by refilling growlers to head over to friends with homebrew. I usually turn up the co2 a little while before filling it up so it has a little extra for the trip.

Here is me emptying one with the actual product in it. :)

P1040807.JPG

MMM...... That was a good Amber Ale, I just might have to try and clone it.

Back