Mash Tun Thermothings, or just drill a small hole for temp probe? Please give input..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Kewler Thermothingy but have read where others just drill a small hole in a cooler and stick a probe right through. Seems to me like this is a good idea. Maybe throw in a touch of silicone right before sliding it through to ensure a positive seal?

Any input, anyone tried it?

anyone know if silicone might be toxic too?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

I was actually thinking of doing that for my future MLT... I don't see what an analog, possibly a digital thermometer couldn't be added directly through the cooler wall with silicone seals... Sounds good to me but haven't done it.

I've got one of these Amazon.com: Taylor Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer: Home & Garden. The probe cord is long enough, and the gauge small enough,that I just drop the probe in my cooler MLT, run the cord out the top, and put the lid on. It's only a few more dollars than the Kewler Thermothingy, and there are no holes to drill! Plus I use this thermometer not only for brewing, but all over the kitchen...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how it could be any worse than the Thermothingy. I have had 3 and each were a source of leaky frustration.

Bobby, I've seen that too, but wonder why add an extra piece to the equation? If you can drill it a few thousandths smaller and push it through it should be water tight, no? Or is there some advantage to the rubber bung?

Frolickingmonkey. I have one of those, similar anyway. I had it hang in there on my last brew day and it shorted out and showed 400*F. I read up and had to put it in the oven to dry it out. I wasn't too keen on almost losing my remote thermo.... I know there is a DIY fix with silicone tubing, but I was really hoping to spend 10 bucks on a permanent thermometer. One in my lautertun and mashtun..... Thanks for the tip though.

Gila, I've read a few reports like that. I was wondering if they are always problematic, or just people who have problems post. Seems like they must sell a lot of them. But they do also seem like they would be problematic when I consider how they seem to work too...

I had it hang in there on my last brew day and it shorted out and showed 400*F. I read up and had to put it in the oven to dry it out. I wasn't too keen on almost losing my remote thermo....

Thankfully this hasn't happened to me... YET... :D

I tried quite a few of the thermometers with the wire and I passed the temp probe through the side of the cooler using a compression fitting but it never failed that after 4 or 5 brew sessions, the probe wire would short out. I could usually cook the probe at 250 or so for an hour and it would work, but after doing this 4 or 5 times it would not read correctly again. I finally went with the stainless waterproof model from Amazon for $16 and it is working great after many brews.

Linc

Bobby, I've seen that too, but wonder why add an extra piece to the equation? If you can drill it a few thousandths smaller and push it through it should be water tight, no? Or is there some advantage to the rubber bung?

Frolickingmonkey. I have one of those, similar anyway. I had it hang in there on my last brew day and it shorted out and showed 400*F. I read up and had to put it in the oven to dry it out. I wasn't too keen on almost losing my remote thermo.... I know there is a DIY fix with silicone tubing, but I was really hoping to spend 10 bucks on a permanent thermometer. One in my lautertun and mashtun..... Thanks for the tip though.

Gila, I've read a few reports like that. I was wondering if they are always problematic, or just people who have problems post. Seems like they must sell a lot of them. But they do also seem like they would be problematic when I consider how they seem to work too...

HDPE doesn't quite have the springiness of a rubber bung. After a few heat/cool cycles that sucker will definitely leak. You don't have to use a huge stopper, but think of it like a compression fitting. The further you push the stopper into a hole in the cooler wall, the tighter it seals to the cooler hole and the probe itself.

In all cases you really have to be careful not to smash into it with your mash paddle.

Just use the stopper idea already. It is flawless when sealing, no questions... and you can smack it with a mash paddle and it wont budge. Jut do it already.

Back