Finished bottling my chili-wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Using the recipe that a friend in Australia gave me (and added fruit wine yeast), I've finally bottled the chili-wine (named: "Passow's Chili-wine"....simple eh?). It finished fermenting last week (that was a long fermentation!). I ended up with a half of a gallon of wine. Used Asain Birdseye peppers (about 40 of them) and a whole bell pepper (extra sugar I figured), and a few Serannos.

Having a glass of it right now. Suble sweetness, nice back of the throat burn (would rate it as a 3 out of 10). Very slight sufler bite that appear extremely breifly but that's a by product of the yeast and the fact that I didn't rack it enough at the first racking period (I did two rackings total).

chiliwine1.jpg

chiliwine2.jpg

Going to age the bottles (drinking one today/tomarrow). I'll try one next month and see how it's aged, then go from there.

Sounds interesting. I've never had a chili wine.

Did you make your wine from a kit or did you press grapes? What kind of kit or grapes?

Sounds interesting. I've never had a chili wine.

Did you make your wine from a kit or did you press grapes? What kind of kit or grapes?

It came out really interesting. Not insanly hot either even if you aren't a hard core chilli-head like me. This is what I did:

PASSOW'S CHILLI-WINE

40 Asain Birdseye Peppers
3-5 Serannos
1 Red Bell Peppers
6 cups sugar
1.5 Gallons Water
4 teapoons Lemon Essence
1 teaspoon citric acid

Slice chillis open, put chilli's , water , sugar inpot (I placed them in a spagetti strained in the pot) bring to boil and simmer for 20 - 30 min. Then mash the peppers with potato masher in the pot add lemon essence and citric acid,, Strain, cool, pitch yeast (Fruit Wine yeast) and put in fermenter. Rack into secondary fermentor after three weeks. Bottle when fermentation has ceased.

It took me about one and a half months to get to the bottling stage. This was just a f it to see what I get way. You can probably do it much better by actually doing a large 5 gallon batch with the peppers in the water in a open top fermentor like you do with wine and then squize the juice out of them in your mash turn....but be careful....capsaicin is a pritty tough chemical to get out of things.... :D

EDIT: OH! That was my 100th post here! COOL!

I had some very interesting chili wine a few years ago while visiting Australia. Like your's, they said it was made from pure chili's, no other fruit/grapes/raisins. I've just started making my own wine and would be very interested in trying this. Would you share the original recipe you received from your Aussie friend?

I understand that's the recipe as he made it, I'm just wondering if that's the exact recipe he received from his Aussie friend.

The only thing I changed was the fact that I added the Red Bell Pepepr and Serranos. I also added yeast b/c the original recipe didn't call for it (what? We're they just using wild yeast that floated over the fermentor? We'll never know).

As for what you may have had in Australia, it could have been Disaster Bay Chilli Wine?

That's it. I never would have remembered the name but we stayed in Eden for a few days and visited the local wineries while we were there. Excellent stuff.

Did you ever try your second bottle this month?

Back