Is Dextrose the Same as Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjm

Reaction score
The message header about sums it up. I'm preping to bottle my first homebrew and need to know if I can use the Dextrose on sale at my local health food store for bottle conditioning, or if corn sugar is something different.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

It's the same stuff but different in ways that are impossible to actually define - it is more of a spiritual difference.*

I am wondering about the price and availability of this stuff. I figured health food stores would carry it but I doubt it would be at bargain prices, even compared with my HBS. Has anyone found it at places like Whole Foods (a sort of a hippie grocery store chain - there must be similar things in other parts of the country)? Regular grocery stores don't seem to have it.

*Complete nonsense of course.

Most of the grocery stores up here carry it because they all have a little wine/beer kit section. Handy if you need an airlock or some extra tubing at 10PM. The price is about the same as HBS however. I was at a commercial food retailer the other day and saw some there but it was more expensive than anywhere else.

Chairman Cheyco said:
I was at a commercial food retailer the other day and saw some there but it was more expensive than anywhere else.
But doesn't than stuff produce smaller bubbles in brews though?;):D

Caplan said:
But doesn't than stuff produce smaller bubbles in brews though?
Not sure about that, but it does leave holes in the ozone layer, and brown smudges on your soul that won't come off even with oxyclean. :D

ya, its true - dextrose is just a type of glucose - the simplest form of sugar; a monosaccharide. Corn sugar is a simple sugar high in monosaccharides. Table sugar or cane sugar, demmerara etc., is mostly disaccharides and is a little less easy to ferment than dextrose. That is why it is good to boil up table sugar before you prime with it in order to break some of those bonds and make it easy for the yeasties to use :)

Back