Munton's Dry Yeast and Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winesburg Ale

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Christmas Ale last night. It was an extract ingredient package from the local homebrew shop that was well-recommended by fellow brewers. The fermentables included 7 pounds of malt extract and one pound of honey. I've made a number of brews from this store's kits and had good results. However, I discovered after opening the package that they had changed their dry ale yeast from Nottingham to Munton's. I have read that Munton's recommends not using their standard yeast on all-malt brews because it doesn't attenuate the complex sugars well. I would think that this batch would qualify as all-malt, despite the presence of the honey. Do you think I've got a potential problem here? Could I let the fermentation wind down with the Muntons and then pitch some Nottingham?

I have read several threads where the Munton's yeast did not finish out well. I would pitch the Nottingham and not wait.

I appreciate the advice. I won't be able to pitch the new yeast until tomorrow. Does anyone know if it will do any good at that point? The brew will be three days into primary fermentation by then.

Back