Crappy Sunday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongofury

Reaction score
I woke up Sun morn to a sound in the living room. It was about 6:45 and I didn't want the 7 year old to be awake yet so I came out. I saw Simba (damn old cat) who was in and I knew he was out last night so I looked into the office and the door was wide open (but it was still locked). In the drive I saw 2 teenage kids about 14 years old packing up. I called 911 and they ran off, one was wearing my backpack. The cops were at my door within 2 minutes and he went speeding off looking for them a few minutes later another cop came and took my statement. They took an old laptop my xbox 360, 3 games and SWMBO purse (no money but ID and all that crap), and SWMBO ipod nano.

So I am pretty pissed. The door was still locked when I got up even though it was open and I don't know what happened there if it just didn't catch or they had a slim jim. The cop was there so quick because there had been a lot of calls that morn from this area with alarms going off. They didn't get anything we care about, we have to see if its worth making an insurance claim or not but SWMBO was up at 6:30 this morn and fed Simba (I know I saw him out last night) so I am pretty sure they were in the house at that time and she didn't see them. I saw they had my camera out so maybe I interrupted them I know I heard them and I am pretty sure what I heard was them dropping the xbox controllers. Nothing went bad but it seems like it really could have.

And the dog didn't do her job. She is mostly deaf and she isn't barking the way she used to. Having a dog did help me feel safe in this crappy neighborhood so it may be time for a new one.

Having got a look at the kids they were just kids and not crazy looking felon types, I doubt they had weapons and they look like the would have pissed themselves if cornered. ( I almost ran after them but I was in my underwear). But you never know with this stuff.

Anyway I am looking at puppies. So thats good.

That sucks!! I hope the cops catch the dumb s**ts! Good luck!

What type of puppies are you looking at getting?

I have been talking over a new pup for a while with SWMBO but we thought it would wait until our current dog is an ex-dog but maybe not.

I have somehow convinced myself that I want one of the 3 aussie breeds:

heeler or shepard or kelpie.

Get yourself a American Bulldog/Pitbull! Loyal, family-loving dogs that will stand by you 'till the end (given the proper training and socialization). Plus, they look 'scary' and most hoodlums will leave for easier pickins after sight of it.

I've got 2 American Bulldogs and they are really the best dogs I have ever owned. Well-behaved, loyal, and always ready to bark at noises outside. There have been a few instances with SWMBO and them that have proved to me they would not hesitate to do what is necessary to protect their family.

Anyway, sorry for the loss of your stuff. The good thing is none of your family got hurt!

Time to consider some sort of alarm, or just making sure your locks are 100% secure and adding a deadbolt. Definately more important that no one got hurt, and making sure it doesn't happen again.

Time to consider some sort of alarm, or just making sure your locks are 100% secure and adding a deadbolt. Definately more important that no one got hurt, and making sure it doesn't happen again.

Yeah I don't know about an alarm. I am not familiar with them and with 2 kids and many pets seems like a difficult thing to pull off.

Now the thing that pisses me off is I saw the lock was locked. I actually looked at it 3 times the night before. I know it could be better its a glass slider and a dowel would make it pretty secure.

But the thing is it failed. It was locked and failed and thats what bugs me. Either it didn't catch or they were able to open it. It just makes me think that systems fail.

This could be a possible deterrent for would be thieves... If you know someone with an alarm system, have them get a few extra window stickers and maybe even a sign to put in the front yard. (My security company gives these out for free).

I think Ace/Home Depot/Lowes carries window stickers that look like security company stickers, but IMO you have to be careful with those.

I don't have faith in some locks on sliding glass doors. Either you put the wood rod in there, which affects your time leaving in event of an emergency or you look at a better type of lock. My 11 year old son has no problem circumventing the lock on our sliding glass door just by tapping on the door frame until the lock pops up.

I think a good dog is generally better than most electronic alarms. They are far better at detecting people near the house and won't completely annoy your neighbors with false alarms, from children or whatever setting it off accidentally.

Like Apollo said just get some stickers and put them on the windows or maybe get a sign for the yard. That will be just as much of a deterrent.

We bought a puppy yesterday. We came home and within minutes we heard gun shots. Right across the street there was a drive by shooting! Apparently the town has become this bad. Then I read in the paper yesterday that my gym where I work out has had 18 cars broken into in the last month.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the locals.
Have you thought about a security camera? What kind of pup did you get?

The pup is pretty cool though. Its a border collie/Kelpie mix. Looks like a collie. I saw older siblings and the dam and they all look kelpie'ish with short hair.

Man break-ins suck. My place got broken in to just over a year ago. They got a few valuables, a digital camera, and some heirlooms (which was the only thing I really cared about). Kinda creepy that it happened while you were home, I remember it took us a while to feel safe in our home again and that was the biggest loss.

It also sounds to me like you might want to consider moving.

Maybe someone took care of the thieving problem. Vigilante Justice!!

Border Collies need lots of exercise. hope you can keep up. Plus, they can be nippers to kids if they are not trained not to. They were bred to herd, and they tend to do that, even to the point that if the kid doesn't go where the dog wants him to, he might end up nipping to try and get the kid to do what he wants.

That said, they can, and usually are, great family pets if given good attention and training.

Back