YAFAGBP (Yet Another First AG Batch Post)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ph0ngwh0ng

Reaction score
Hey!

Doing my first AG batch tomorrow:

Style: Witbier
Batch Size: 5,00 gal
Boil Volume: 6,00 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0,50 lb Rice Hulls (0,0 SRM) Adjunct 5,3 %
4,50 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2,0 SRM) Grain 47,4 %
4,50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1,6 SRM) Grain 47,4 %
1,00 oz Williamette [5,50%] (40 min) Hops 18,2 IBU
0,75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5,0 min) Misc
0,75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5,0 min) Misc
0,25 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5,0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944 Activator)

So, I took no chances and made a starter for the yeast anyway, even if Wyeast tells me it's not mandatory.

I use a SS braid and will use the double batch sparging method.

I still have a few questions though:

1. Do I have to crush the flaked wheat and if so, does anyone have pics of what it should look like?

2. I have brass parts AND SS parts IN my MLT. Is there a product I can use to clean/sanitize both of them at the same time?

3. Is it ok to use only a primary fermenter with this beer style and why?

4. When and how much rice hulls should I add? Got an answer previously on that one but I just wanna be sure.

That's all folks!

I'll give it a shot. We are doing a HefeWeizen today, but I don't know if I would trust me :eek:

1) if its flaked, I think you're good. We are using crushed wheat malt.
2) anything before the boil does not need to be sanitized. We just rinse our MLT out with water after every use. No problems with different metals ;)
3) we are only going to use a primary fermenter for about a week - then into kegs. Secondaries are useful for big beers, or beers you want to clear - a wheat beer is neither.
4) Rice hulls are mixed into the grains before you get them wet to prevent stuck sparges. I have no idea how much to use because we aren't using any :eek: I *think* its more important with flaked wheat. A "couple handfuls" is the amount I'm seeing in a search for "rice hulls" in titles :D

Rice hulls are used mostly when using wheat malt to prevent stuck sparges. I dont weigh mine out, i just throw a handful in

I'll give it a shot. We are doing a HefeWeizen today, but I don't know if I would trust me :eek:

1) if its flaked, I think you're good. We are using crushed wheat malt.
2) anything before the boil does not need to be sanitized. We just rinse our MLT out with water after every use. No problems with different metals ;)
3) we are only going to use a primary fermenter for about a week - then into kegs. Secondaries are useful for big beers, or beers you want to clear - a wheat beer is neither.
4) Rice hulls are mixed into the grains before you get them wet to prevent stuck sparges. I have no idea how much to use because we aren't using any :eek: I *think* its more important with flaked wheat. A "couple handfuls" is the amount I'm seeing in a search for "rice hulls" in titles

I'll second everything here.

Definitely don't do a secondary-- just keep in primary for 10-14 days and let the yeast do their thing-- then move to keg and let it age a couple weeks before drinking (if you can wait that long). :mug:

Back