Vintage Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
Just wondering what others have experianced in the quality of beer over time.
Each batch I make I put a couple aside to mature for 6 months or so.

I reasently found an old batch(4) stacked at the back and forgoten they were a draught beer from a cheap kit. Nothing to lose I chilled them and tried them. Result was great.

I would be interested in comments

Terry

yeah, some beers should be cellared for years, RIS, Barleywine, IIPA. Investigate these and you'll be quite happy with the results of aging.

A couple of months ago, I had an excellent Belgian-style quadruppel. Very scant carbonation, huge dark fruits in the mouth, chewy grains. Just plain yum.

It was six years old. And it was my last bottle. :mad:

Bob

I've been brewing for about 18 months. From each batch I have put away a few to sample at 1 year or later. So far it has been a mixed bag. My first beer a Red Ale and my Brown Hoppy both tasted fairly oxidized, however a couple of stouts I did were better than ever. Hops flavors really decline with age which makes those wonderful IPAs and Pale Ales very different. However the changes to stouts and porters is much more subtle and I think beneficial.

Craig

Back