Fennel Seed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
I never really used fennel seed much, but I've started playing with it & have discovered I like it quite a bit; in small amounts. I know fennel seed is one of the main things that makes Italian sausage taste like Italian sausage & I've used it in conjunction with caraway in a cabbage stir-fry & it was reall tasty. I'm wondering what dishes you folks use fennel seed in? Do you use it whole? Crush or grind it? Toast it in the oven? Sweet, savoury, tart, sour? How do you use it?
Regards, GF.

I don't use much fennel seed, but after growing it for two summers and loving the bulbs and the fronds in everything, I'm revisiting it.

I tend to crush it and use a little on salmon, or a tiny bit in meatloaf. It brings out some nice flavors!

I never really used fennel seed much, but I've started playing with it & have discovered I like it quite a bit; in small amounts. I know fennel seed is one of the main things that makes Italian sausage taste like Italian sausage & I've used it in conjunction with caraway in a cabbage stir-fry & it was reall tasty. I'm wondering what dishes you folks use fennel seed in? Do you use it whole? Crush or grind it? Toast it in the oven? Sweet, savoury, tart, sour? How do you use it?
Regards, GF.

I love fennel too, but my wife doesn't.

Use equal parts fennel and corriander seed, grind in a spice grinder and apply to oiled chicken breasts for an awesome rub. Pic below is that chicken with an olive/tomato relish on it.

I use it in italian sausage too. Wouldn't be the same without it.

_mg_8186-62596.jpg

I add fennel seeds and red pepper flakes when I'm frying bulk breakfast sausage to use as a pizza topping or in lasagna. It turns it into Italian sausage -- or close enough for my purposes.

I thought this thread was going to be about using fennel to spice a beer, like you might use coriander :p

I add fennel seeds and red pepper flakes when I'm frying bulk breakfast sausage to use as a pizza topping or in lasagna. It turns it into Italian sausage -- or close enough for my purposes.

I thought this thread was going to be about using fennel to spice a beer, like you might use coriander :p

I have definitely heard of worse ideas...

Pickle something:

INGREDIENTS

1 fennel bulb, stalks discarded, bulb halved, cored, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 1/4 cups seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 (1-inch) strips orange zest
2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds

INSTRUCTIONS

Place fennel in 1-quart glass jar with tight-fitting lid. Combine vinegar, water, orange zest, garlic, fennel seeds, peppercorns, and mustard seeds in small saucepan and bring to boil. Pour brine into jar, making sure all vegetables are submerged. Let cool completely. Affix jar lid and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Pickles will keep, refrigerated, for at least 1 week.

Back