Making corned beef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to take a crack at making corned beef. I currently have a 9.2 lbs brisket after being trimmed and I'm using the recipe from Ruhlman/Polcyn recipe book of Charcuterie.
The recipe in particular is for a 5lbs brisket. Aside from doubling (close) all ingredients, does the pink salt need doubled as well?
Also, I'm seeing conflicts where most recipes call for brining for 10 days. This recipe in particular calls for 5 days. Any words of wisdom for this situation?

I'm going to take a crack at making corned beef. I currently have a 9.2 lbs brisket after being trimmed and I'm using the recipe from Ruhlman/Polcyn recipe book of Charcuterie.
The recipe in particular is for a 5lbs brisket. Aside from doubling (close) all ingredients, does the pink salt need doubled as well?
Also, I'm seeing conflicts where most recipes call for brining for 10 days. This recipe in particular calls for 5 days. Any words of wisdom for this situation?

I make corned beef a couple of times a year. Here's my process, with links and lots of pictures. In this case, I smoked half of it and made pastrami. It's frigging great.

It's best to wait 10 days if you can. Otherwise, you might end up with the cure not completely getting to the middle of the meat, especially with thicker pieces. Make sure to cut the fat to less than 1/8" or the cure won't get through that. As you can see in the pic below, I didn't cut that cap of fat thin enough and after 10 days I stilll had a spot in the middle that didn't get cured (that's a pic of the smoked pastrami).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6079585&postcount=2141

_mg_8157-62526.jpg

Thanks pawn. I must have overlooked your post while searching. I'm going to do a similar situation by using half for pastrami after its through the Corning process.
You bring up a valid point on the fat cap and excess fat. Being in a brining solution and also being boiled afterwards, the fat on the outside of the meat really holds little value other than retaining some of the cured flavor. I foresee most of the fat melting away during the boil. Safe assumption?

Thanks pawn. I must have overlooked your post while searching. I'm going to do a similar situation by using half for pastrami after its through the Corning process.
You bring up a valid point on the fat cap and excess fat. Being in a brining solution and also being boiled afterwards, the fat on the outside of the meat really holds little value other than retaining some of the cured flavor. I foresee most of the fat melting away during the boil. Safe assumption?

Yep. In fact, the crock pot does a serious job of stripping all the fat out of the meat and drying it out. The next corned beef I do I think I'm going to sous vide the meat first (in a vac bag), then add it to the vegies in the crock pot for the last hour. That way maybe the meat will retain some of the beef fat. Might be a fail, we'll see.

You just shot that idea to hell. I was considering the crock pot for the final cook. I've boiled some store boughts that turned out mediocre. I guess I'll have to cross this bridge in ten days.
To this point the brisket is in the brine and sitting in the fridge. I'll update as progression passes.

You just shot that idea to hell. I was considering the crock pot for the final cook. I've boiled some store boughts that turned out mediocre. I guess I'll have to cross this bridge in ten days.
To this point the brisket is in the brine and sitting in the fridge. I'll update as progression passes.

I've always done the crock pot and loved it. So, don't let that stop you. But even though it's in all that broth, you'll see what I mean about dry.

I just consulted my copy of Charcuterie. They use twice as much salt as I did. If you intend on making pastrami with this, you must soak that piece of the corned beef in cold water overnight or it will be VERY salty. It's not necessary for the corned beef, which you'll be cooking in water in the end.

They also use "pickling spices". This is the ultimate flavor of the corned beef. I would prefer to make this myself and not trust this to something in a packet, although I doubt that would be a problem. If you do this again, you might take a look at that link, and others, and come up with your own blend.

I went with the recipe in the book since I was a few beers deep and following a visual recipe was easiest. I did use the Mrs Wages pickling spice since it was convenient, and seemed to be heavy in aromatics.
I'm going to forego the pastrami this time around and freeze half the corned beef for future use since we are partial to Reuben's.
As far as cooking in the crock pot, what's your method? Will the saltiness be an issue or do you change the water out as you do in the stovetop method?

I went with the recipe in the book since I was a few beers deep and following a visual recipe was easiest. I did use the Mrs Wages pickling spice since it was convenient, and seemed to be heavy in aromatics.
I'm going to forego the pastrami this time around and freeze half the corned beef for future use since we are partial to Reuben's.
As far as cooking in the crock pot, what's your method? Will the saltiness be an issue or do you change the water out as you do in the stovetop method?

My wife usually does the crock pot thing, but I think she puts the meat in the pot in the morning and then the veggies (cabbage, carrots, pots) in the last hour or two. No water change, but taste before adding any salt. I'm almost certain I don't add any salt to the broth.

I always start my CB in the crockpot over some throw away veggies sans added liquid. The CB and the veg produces more than enough liquid to cook the veggies later on in the process.

Now i really really really want CB.

Looks great!!!! Definitely looking forward to some Reuben's. I'm trying to source some good dark rye and something better than jarred sauerkraut to try to replicate a small deli we frequent when out of town. The brisket is smelling amazing in the brine, I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Looks great!!!! Definitely looking forward to some Reuben's. I'm trying to source some good dark rye and something better than jarred sauerkraut to try to replicate a small deli we frequent when out of town.

Funny you should say that! I made my own rye bread, mustard, sauerkraut, pickles, and even the swiss cheese (actually, Jarlsberg) for my pastrami sandwich. You could easily make the bread (I use a bread machine), the mustard (super simple but takes about 3 days soaking in vinegar). Sauerkraut is very very easy too, but takes weeks. The cheese is another thing :)

_mg_8162-62527.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

Damnit. Enough of the tormenting!
I just found out that a local bulk food store/deli/bakery is opening up in a week in a nearby town that I'm going to check out for the bread. Hope I have success and it's the ticket. I don't have a bread machine but make pizza dough quite often with the KA mixer since my baking skills in the bread area are a bit sketchy, with most results ending in mediocrity. The mustard sounds interesting but leans more to the pastrami in my eyes, I'm a Russian or Thousand Island user for the Reuben's.
A lot of ramblings running through my head on the cheese topic, however, I may suggest some Gorgonzola if you get the chance on one. What a great combo.

Funny you should say that! I made my own rye bread, mustard, sauerkraut, pickles, and even the swiss cheese (actually, Jarlsberg) for my pastrami sandwich. You could easily make the bread (I use a bread machine), the mustard (super simple but takes about 3 days soaking in vinegar). Sauerkraut is very very easy too, but takes weeks. The cheese is another thing :)

Would you mind sharing your rye bread recipe with us?

_mg_8162-62527.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

I will be doing cheese soon. All I have done to date is fresh cheese like paneer to go in Indian dishes, but I just love the process and have been lurking in the cheese thread for a long time.

_mg_8162-62527.jpg

_mg_9776-65163.jpg

Drool! I'll take 2 please! :D

Would you mind sharing your rye bread recipe with us?

I remember going to the store for rye seed and coming out with one of those bread machine kits. Can't tell you which one. It's not like me to take that kind of shortcut, but I did and it was superb. I kinda remember adding my own caraway seed to the mix, but maybe not. It was a while ago.

I would love to try my hand at some blues when I get a little experience. That photo just makes me drool. Wife hates blues but I and youngest Daughter and her husband love them!

So I just cooked up some of the corned beef in the crock pot. I cooked it over some sauerkraut for Reuben's and damn if it wasn't dry. A bit on the tough side which is likely my impatience to eat since 9 hrs on low was still showing some resistance, but the flavor was good. I sliced it thick across the grain, so I have some improvements to make.
I read a recipe about wrapping the CB in foil and then putting it in the crock pot so it kind of steams itself. Anyone try this?

Back