Refrigerator thermostat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohanski

Reaction score
Does anyone know a way to modify the thermostat that comes with the refrigerator to go to higher temperatures. Is it a low voltage thermostat, or high voltage? If it is low I would think you could use a standard household thermostat.
Your thoughts.

I am guessing you are looking for a way to ferment in a fridge. If so, get a temp controller. You plug the fridge into it and run the probe into the fridge or, better, into the carboy itself using a temp probe. The controller then turns the fridge on and off based on what temp the probe is picking up. I added one to a used chest freezer and love it. Since it's a freezer, it can get things cold enough for lagers.
Here's one from B3
Clicky

The purpose of this information is to allow a typical refrigerator to be used as a fermentation chamber.

Here is a link to information regarding the calibration of a refrigerator thermostat.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/rscellar.shtml

I have a Gerald Office refrigerator that was adjusted to raise the highest temperature to 70 by turning the calibration screw clockwise about 10 turns.
The result of the recalibration was # 1 on the dial was 65-66 degrees, which is about 15 degrees higher than normal. Turning towards OFF could lower the temperature towards 70. I was happy with this setting and did not experiment further.
Hope this helps.

Does anyone know a way to modify the thermostat that comes with the refrigerator to go to higher temperatures. Is it a low voltage thermostat, or high voltage? If it is low I would think you could use a standard household thermostat.
Your thoughts.

Can't speak for all, but the Kenmore (actually Whirpool) refrigerator-only unit that I use for a fermentation chamber uses a line-voltage controller. I swapped it out for a Love controller so I could easily change temperatures to a precise (if not accurate) setpoint.

The purpose of this information is to allow a typical refrigerator to be used as a fermentation chamber.

Here is a link to information regarding the calibration of a refrigerator thermostat.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/rscellar.shtml

I have a Gerald Office refrigerator that was adjusted to raise the highest temperature to 70 by turning the calibration screw clockwise about 10 turns.
The result of the recalibration was # 1 on the dial was 65-66 degrees, which is about 15 degrees higher than normal. Turning towards OFF could lower the temperature towards 70. I was happy with this setting and did not experiment further.
Hope this helps.

Thank you
I forgot all about that trick.
Infact the refrigerator I have has a arrow on it for colder. Although I went the other way.

does anyone know if the fridge thermostat can be used in An egg incubator? Thanks ahead for your replies?

Back