Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
Since I use ale pails I never see the fermentation process So this is new to me. I brewed a 5 gallon Listermann ESB kit and pitched with Wyeast British Ale II. I had good strong fermentation 12 hours later then it slowed 24 hours after that. I checked it this evening and the airlock had overflowed with this tan viscous stuff. I popped the lid off of the pail and there was a super viscous tan foam. Is this the yeast/krausen? It smelt like beer so I dont think anything was wrong but my previous 3 batches didnt do this. I am not really worried but just looking for confirmation that it is what I think it is.

Thanks guys

Yup, that is the krausen! Some yeasts generate way more than others, but also having your temps too high can cause an overactive fermentation which will do the same thing.

Awesome, thanks a ton! Temp isnt an issue. The fermenting chamber holds a rock solid 69.5F. As backed up as that airlock was I am surprised the bucket didnt spit it out.

Latest posts

Back