Calling All Motorcycle Owners!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranny04

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle. I am a complete armature. I've ridden dirt bikes before but that's about it. I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of bike I should get. I'm kinda a big dude (6'6 230lbs). I'm leaning towards cruisers, but I'm open to some opinions..

Thanks,
Cranny

Hey all,

I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle. I am a complete armature. I've ridden dirt bikes before but that's about it. I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of bike I should get. I'm kinda a big dude (6'6 230lbs). I'm leaning towards cruisers, but I'm open to some opinions..

Thanks,
Cranny

All comes down to what you want. Dirty, nasty speed? Crotch Rocket. Touring? Cruiser.

I own a harley, and will say that it has caused me some grief. Might look into victory or triumph next time.

Head to a dealership, and start sitting on things. That'll tell you what you like.

TowsonTiger22 said:
All comes down to what you want. Dirty, nasty speed? Crotch Rocket. Touring? Cruiser.

I own a harley, and will say that it has caused me some grief. Might look into victory or triumph next time.

Head to a dealership, and start sitting on things. That'll tell you what you like.

Yeah, but don't have them tell you what you should like. Do reaserch and test drive if needed, good luck

definitely sit on quite a few.

I knew I wanted a cruiser.

I had my mind set on a suzuki savage (ls650), from reading sooooo much online about starter bikes. This is generally regarded as one of the better starter bikes, etc etc. Well, I'm 5'10", 190lbs, and the first time I saw one in person, I almost laughed. I sat on it, and it was soooo tiny. Lots of sites recommended the 250cc bikes for starting out (honda rebel, etc), and they are even smaller.

I used a Honda Rebel when I took my Motorcycle Safety class, and i felt like a monkey f*ggin' a football. It was so cramped.

I was partial to shaft-drive bikes, and ended up buying a suzuki c50 (800cc, but pretty large frame, and long wheelbase). I sat on a new one at the dealer, and then found a used one on craigslist.

At 6'6" and if you enjoyed dirt bikes then two words. Adventure sports. Think about the bmw GS bikes, even the 650 was a hoot and probably more capable when you fancy hitting the dirt tracks.

I love the triumph tiger and the KTM adventure ( but don't get the black ones as they have issues in hot countries with venting fuel through breather pipes from the tank) and the new Tenere is supposed to be good but I haven't had the chance to ride one.

What are the restrictions for new riders in your part of the world? Here in the UK it is quite a difficult route these days to get a bike licence with a three part test and restrictions for younger riders.

GilaMinumBeer said:
My shadow does this. It's kind of the point.

No sorry, that wasn't clear, the Black KTM tanks get hot and then vent onto the back of the front tyre, have known of a couple that did it. Of course tanks are supposed to vent through breathers but not in such a way as to make riding a game of Russian roulette.

The orange ones absorb much less heat in the tank and don't seem to suffer the same amount of venting issues.

Hi
6'5 240# novice rider here, new owner of a Kawasaki KLR 650 and loving it! Its a dual sport on off road, loads of fun. Its a big guys bike and nice entry level machine with a nice price tag as well.

No sorry, that wasn't clear, the Black KTM tanks get hot and then vent onto the back of the front tyre, have known of a couple that did it. Of course tanks are supposed to vent through breathers but not in such a way as to make riding a game of Russian roulette.

The orange ones absorb much less heat in the tank and don't seem to suffer the same amount of venting issues.

Ahhh. Yes. Gas on tire not good. Mine vents under the frame.

If you got some cash to spend I would recommend a Harley 1200cc Sportster. Great starter bike and has enough power that you won't feel its too weak once you're in your groove.

Before you get a bike take an MSF rider safety course. Worth the time, bypasses endorsement testing in most states and can save you $$$ on insurance when you get that new ride. Next figure out what you want, sit on a bunch of bikes and remember that what is on the seat causes more problems than what is under it.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Ahhh. Yes. Gas on tire not good. Mine vents under the frame.

Although to be honest it's preferable to all the oil from the bike in front of you being atomised over your bike, visor, tarmac etc when the gear box decided it didn't want to keep all those pesky cogs and springs inside the casing when the rider down changed. That was " interesting"....

definitely sit on quite a few.

I knew I wanted a cruiser.

I had my mind set on a suzuki savage (ls650), from reading sooooo much online about starter bikes. This is generally regarded as one of the better starter bikes, etc etc. Well, I'm 5'10", 190lbs, and the first time I saw one in person, I almost laughed. I sat on it, and it was soooo tiny. Lots of sites recommended the 250cc bikes for starting out (honda rebel, etc), and they are even smaller.

I used a Honda Rebel when I took my Motorcycle Safety class, and i felt like a monkey f*ggin' a football. It was so cramped.

I was partial to shaft-drive bikes, and ended up buying a suzuki c50 (800cc, but pretty large frame, and long wheelbase). I sat on a new one at the dealer, and then found a used one on craigslist.

That's damn near word for word my bike buying story. Except I bought my C50 at a dealer.

Definitely take 'The Course'. I went from never having rode to being able to ride in 3 days. Being able to ride well came with later experience. 'The Course' is well worth the time and money. You get a discount on insurance too.

Once you pass 'The Course', you may be able to bypass the driving portion of the state M test. I only had to take the written.

Cruiser insurance is cheaper than sport bike insurance, even with a good driving record.

Screw that start with a 250 business. A busa or Boss Hoss may not be a good idea for a new rider, but a medium to full size bike is fine. You got two guys right here who started on 800s.

And no, no graduated size restriction in the US. You get your M and you can drive any size bike you feel like on day one. 'The Course' does teach on 250s though.

And I aint knocking 250s. It's a fine size if that's what one wants. Hell, I'd rock a sub 250 scooter if I didn't get on the highway. Great mpg.

And wear a DOT or Snell helmet. The road don't care how tough we think we are. I often wear a riding jacket too when on the highway.

Zuljin said:
Screw that start with a 250 business. A busa or Boss Hoss may not be a good idea for a new rider, but a medium to full size bike is fine. You got two guys right here who started on 800s.

And no, no graduated size restriction in the US. You get your M and you can drive any size bike you feel like on day one. 'The Course' does teach on 250s though.

Couldn't agree more, the idea that larger capacity bikes aren't as suitable as a 250 seems to have been thought up by someone who has never experienced a nice big lazy twin compared to a smaller capacity sports bike. I have very fond memories of ringing the neck on 250 cc RGV and RSs that would top out at around 140mph and definitely were not learner friendly the way something like a new triumph boneville 900 or a Suzuki c50 are.

Getting a bike licence here is a lot like volunteering to be part of an experiment in Orwellian bureaucracy. And the options vary depending on what age you are and what engine size you do the test sections on.

I took "the Course" too. I went to a harley dealer looking at bikes. I had my eye on a Dyna superglide, the salesman asked me if I wanted a test ride. I said I only had my license for a week and had never been on the road. He said if you took the course you'll be fine. He went out with me and it was awesome. A week later I rode it home. He told me something I still tell people today, the bike will only go as fast as you let it.;)

That's damn near word for word my bike buying story. Except I bought my C50 at a dealer.

And wear a DOT or Snell helmet. The road don't care how tough we think we are. I often wear a riding jacket too when on the highway.

I will recommend a jacket. I can post a picture of my fresh scar tissue that the road gave me.

Hey cranny, I grew up in Madison, VA!

I have a Kevlar jacket and some boots I can sell ya and ship to ya if interested. Give ya a damn good price. Let me know and I'll email you some pics and sizes.

There's a big difference between starting on a 800cc cruiser and a similar size sport bike. That said, you've got some MX experience so it's not like you're totally new to it. I've got a Honda Hawk GT (650 V-twin) and it's a blast around town, but could use a little more on the freeway and is on the small side for me size wise at 6'4"/195.

When I look for helmets, I try to find one that meets ECE 22.05, it's a stricter standard than Snell.

Beer_is_good_for_you said:
There's a big difference between starting on a 800cc cruiser and a similar size sport bike. That said, you've got some MX experience so it's not like you're totally new to it. I've got a Honda Hawk GT (650 V-twin) and it's a blast around town, but could use a little more on the freeway and is on the small side for me size wise at 6'4"/195.

When I look for helmets, I try to find one that meets ECE 22.05, it's a stricter standard than Snell.

I'm not really experienced in MX, I've ridden a dirt bike a hand full of times... But all of you have been super helpful.

Thanks!

I had to google that.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

I recently got my first bike. I wanted a daily rider and something that didn't cost too much, so I started looking at bobbers. Someone earlier mentioned the LS650 and that's exactly what I have. It's got plenty of torque (almost pulled myself off of the seat once when learning to ride it) and only cost me $2500 (it's an '06).

I pretty much agree with what most people have said, sit on a few and check them out. Go on a few test rides. Make your decision that way.

Keep in mind that dirt and street riding are not the same. There are very different riding techniques used.

+ 1001

It doesn't hurt knowing how coordinate the clutch/gears/brakes etc from the experience but there is a totally different mindset riding a street bike.

I grudingly took the MSF course because I was in the Navy at the time and the only way to ride on base was to have the MSF certificate. I thought, what are they going to teach me that I don't already know? I can whip a bike around a track, through the woods, ride wheelies make jumps etc..no sweat.

The instructor quickly picked up on my off road riding techniqes right away and probably save me from myself. Take the course it's worth it.

Also, earlier was mentioned a 1200cc Sportster. Great bike, agile, quick. My first street bike. At your size you will quickly outgrow it. I did and I'm six inches shorter than you. Definitely find a bike you feel comfortable on.

I have a Victory Kingpin....Victory destroys harley in performance, engine build quality and longevity. My uncle has a 1999 Victory V92C with 106,000 miles on it...the engine has NEVER needed anything but oil and filters! That does not happen with Harley.

You need to determine if you would rather have a cruiser, a standard motorcycle or a crotch rocket.

Cruisers are great for all around riding and awesome for long distance riding but pretty poor choice if you like curvy mountain roads. Standard motorcycles come in a variaty of sizes and packages but generally are versatile and do everything well. Take the Yamaha FZ6/FZ1/FZ8 for example...streetfighter looks, sport bike performance, enough comfort for a 1,000 mile road trip without putting you in a doctors office. A crotch rocker (Super Sport bike) is about one thing; PERFORMANCE. This is a great weekend ride, track bike or canyon/mountain carver but a poor choice for commute or long distance touring.

Then there is the sport touring bike. Examples Yamaha FJR1300. These bikes are sporty yet comfortable for the long haul.

It also comes down to price range and insurance costs. I also have a Yamaha FZ6S because it was a great bang for the buck and insurance was about 70% less than it would have been on a crotch rocket. Definitely get insurance quotes before you buy!

For a first bike i'd recommend an 80's Japanese bike. Dirt cheap, if you lay it down you aren't out anything, and learn to ride that way. Then in a year if you enjoy riding and get the feel of it you can step up into something bigger/nicer.

I don't have one anymore, but a Shadow 1100 is a good one to start out on. My bro got the 750 and he outgrew that within 2 years. Had to get rid of mine when the little one showed up. Kinda hard to justify the bike when something more practical is needed. No....I didn't get a minivan.

Whattawort said:
I don't have one anymore, but a Shadow 1100 is a good one to start out on. My bro got the 750 and he outgrew that within 2 years. Had to get rid of mine when the little one showed up. Kinda hard to justify the bike when something more practical is needed. No....I didn't get a minivan.

One of my friends recommended a shadow...

Honda Shadows are great if you are looking for a cruiser. The high torque and low center of gravity makes riding easy. I've got a 600, but it would be a bit small for you. A 750 would be a good fit and has plenty of power.

Honda Shadows are great if you are looking for a cruiser. The high torque and low center of gravity makes riding easy. I've got a 600, but it would be a bit small for you. A 750 would be a good fit and has plenty of power.

Keep in mind that engine displacement isn't the only thing to consider as to whether a bike has enough power or not. My 600 cc sport bike is faster than my 1635 cc cruiser! If you are going with an inline 4 cylinder bike a 600 is plenty even for a 230 lb fellow. With V-twins you really need at least 750cc's to have enough power for your size, 1000CC or bigger would be better.

I have a Victory Kingpin....Victory destroys harley in performance, engine build quality and longevity. My uncle has a 1999 Victory V92C with 106,000 miles on it...the engine has NEVER needed anything but oil and filters! That does not happen with Harley.

You need to determine if you would rather have a cruiser, a standard motorcycle or a crotch rocket.

Cruisers are great for all around riding and awesome for long distance riding but pretty poor choice if you like curvy mountain roads. Standard motorcycles come in a variaty of sizes and packages but generally are versatile and do everything well. Take the Yamaha FZ6/FZ1/FZ8 for example...streetfighter looks, sport bike performance, enough comfort for a 1,000 mile road trip without putting you in a doctors office. A crotch rocker (Super Sport bike) is about one thing; PERFORMANCE. This is a great weekend ride, track bike or canyon/mountain carver but a poor choice for commute or long distance touring.

Then there is the sport touring bike. Examples Yamaha FJR1300. These bikes are sporty yet comfortable for the long haul.

It also comes down to price range and insurance costs. I also have a Yamaha FZ6S because it was a great bang for the buck and insurance was about 70% less than it would have been on a crotch rocket. Definitely get insurance quotes before you buy!

Nice to hear. Victory is on my wish list.

The staged interaction is kind of annoying and I could do without the constant beat down of another brand, but the videos look like good stuff to know about Victory and the mechanics of motorcycles in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geico was pricing standard and sport bike insurance as if they were the same type of bike when I was shopping. YMMV.

Jayhem said:

I've heard that about Victory blocks, not many of them sold here in the UK although the cruiser market here is much smaller than other styles.

Jayhem said:
A crotch rocker (Super Sport bike) is about one thing; PERFORMANCE. This is a great weekend ride, track bike or canyon/mountain carver but a poor choice for commute or long distance touring.

That explains the odd looks I got when I did a 4k mile tour on a fireblade with throw-overs and a tank bag. I will admit that the 400 mile dash from Freiburg to Rotterdam for the ferry nearly crippled me for about a week after I got back home.

Geico was pricing standard and sport bike insurance as if they were the same type of bike when I was shopping. YMMV.

It depends on location. Sometimes you get lucky and they only look at displacement and not the type of bike...even though a 600CC 140 hp crotch rocket is about 10 times more likely to be involved in a high speed accident as a 1500cc 75 hp Harley.

Keep in mind that dirt and street riding are not the same. There are very different riding techniques used.

Yes and no. Dirt bike riding will apply to street riding much more than in reverse. In other words, if you grew up riding dirt, you will do fine. If all you have done is street, you will have a hard time learning dirt.

That said, based on your size and background, I'd go with an adventure bike or a supermoto. KLR650 is a good one, Kawasaki Versys or Suzuki V-strom are great too. You can go with the KTM or BMW's but they will cost a lot.

I have one of these. I couldn't imagine riding anything else:
1_husqvarna-sm-610-ie-260.jpg

I was looking for a 750cc cruiser for my first bike. A friend of mine said "Dude, someone your size should get at least 1000cc's. Trust me, you wont regret it." And I didn't!

For a first bike i'd recommend an 80's Japanese bike. Dirt cheap, if you lay it down you aren't out anything, and learn to ride that way. Then in a year if you enjoy riding and get the feel of it you can step up into something bigger/nicer.

This is what I did. I found a 82 Nighthawk 450 for $300 not running. A new key, oil, gas and plugs and I was on the road. I rode that for about 6 months, then sold it for $400. Parts are everywhere too.

Shaddup you. I've already said if either of us have to get a minivan, she has to drive it. I'll keep my peppy little Mazda!

That said, I entered a raffle to win an '02 Shadow 1100 with less than 20k mi. God I want to win this thing.

1982 Honda CX 500 project bike I got off CL for 400 bucks (with title, I wouldn't suggest trying to pay to get titled). I am novice, took the MSF course last year, and was looking for dirt cheap and shaft drive appealed to me as well. After a $200 updated ignition module, she is running fine. Plus I get to spend more time in the garage tweaking her, and hopefully plenty more time riding her next year.

Back