Input needed: eBrewSupply kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatrickwah

Sponsor
Reaction score
So hadn't planned to do any kits or anything this soon but I know there are many who would like to see package options. With that, I would like to pose the following question:

What type of kits are people looking for? My plans at this point are to package kits of leds, switches, and innards excluding the PIDs or other controls.

I do have a few PIDs from my supplier to test, but I'm not familiar enough with PIDs to test them yet, I'm going to have a few friends do it for me. Most likely, I will do some sort clone of Tiber_brew's.

Meanwhile, I am going to move forward with BCS kits. I've built mine using BCS, and have designed the kit, just finalizing a few things now, then a test build.

im still deciding if i want pids or bcs. I will be building a low pressure gas herms. I think the bcs may be overkill for my situation. How long before you think youll know if you are going to carry pids? Im leaning towards that route. I have the gas valves already and all the plumbing, just need to build my control box/probes.

Kits would be awesome. I had really hoped you guys were going to be a one stop shop but no offense right now it seems like a random assortment of stuff.

Ultimate goal is one stop shop, but at the moment my wife and I felt it better to start small. I'll be adding products pretty regularly. 2 new ones coming tomorrow. I'm still trying to find adequate PIDs, the ones I received for trial were in Celcius only.

I'm in the process of building a 2 pump, 2 element eHERMS setup. I think a control panel offering something similar would be of great interest. Perhaps offer 240 and 120 volt options, but I think most brewers are looking at 240.

Malric said:
I'm in the process of building a 2 pump, 2 element eHERMS setup. I think a control panel offering something similar would be of great interest. Perhaps offer 240 and 120 volt options, but I think most brewers are looking at 240.

Gotcha covered. Going to have a 30a version of my BCS rig in a smaller enclosure, 220v rolling out in the next few weeks with any luck.

Heh, figures that you'd roll this out right after I finalized my plans and started buying.

Been talking with ECC on BCS and temp probes, I should begin carrying them shortly, hope to place an order in the next day or so. I will try to keep the pricing similar. Since it will be free freight, I won't be the exact same price, but I will try and be similar. Obviously I don't want to compete with the creator, I just want to provide the convenience to the users, one order, one shipment.

Prices look very reasonable and free shipping is great.
Consider adding a buzzer and a momentary switch to your inventory.

Even if you don't directly sell all the controller components you could assemble kits of the parts you offer of varying complexity (ebay temp controller, PID, BCS, etc.) and example wiring diagrams to get people started.

A sneak preview. 30a control panel. BCS at the moment. I still need to map a PID design.

ForumRunner_20120601_191158.jpg

do you have a price range your aiming for set yet?

Won't commit yet. I will try and have more info later this weekend. I want to get the basic kit up this weekend. I've been working to source large Heatsinks and twist lock fittings, with success. Just trying to find funds to place orders now.

A sneak preview. 30a control panel. BCS at the moment. I still need to map a PID design.

This looks really great, hope this undertaking is fruitful for you. Are you planning on doing a 50a panel that can fire two elements at the same time? That is the direction I am headed for my three vessel HERMS system, I just haven't decided which direction to go (i.e. Brewtroller, BCS, Love cont. or PID). I am inherently lazy though, so if I could find it for the right price... I think the inclusion of temp probes/elements would be a nice touch. I haven't been to your website in a few days but I didn't remember seeing those there.

cliffhanger1821 said:
This looks really great, hope this undertaking is fruitful for you. Are you planning on doing a 50a panel that can fire two elements at the same time? That is the direction I am headed for my three vessel HERMS system, I just haven't decided which direction to go (i.e. Brewtroller, BCS, Love cont. or PID). I am inherently lazy though, so if I could find it for the right price... I think the inclusion of temp probes/elements would be a nice touch. I haven't been to your website in a few days but I didn't remember seeing those there.

Workin on all of the above. First I want to have a 30a panel, the 50a will be a fair bit more expensive, min $300-$400 more likely. The first 30a panel should be complete in the next week if my last parts can be ordered Monday and brought in for the weekend.

I did find Camco elements which will go up in the next day or 2.
BCS went up this morning.
PIDs are still a while off. New test batch due to ship this week.

Any chance you're looking at carrying locking plugs and outlets? I'm looking to source 15 & 30A.

I would be interested in a Kal on the outside, maxed out din-rail on the inside kit with the option to deselect items I might already have. For instance I already have the enclosure, contactors and probes.

I'm very glad I found your site through this post. Sourcing all the necessary parts can get pretty overwhelming.

Can't wait to see what kind of kits you put together.

Just placed a small initial order for Pass & Seymour Twist lock plugs. Should have them in next week. I also have Camco elements in, but waiting on shipping materials, and a third new item for BCS fans that I'll add shortly.

I hope to have 2 kits up this weekend:
2 elements, 2 pumps, bcs controlled and 2 elements that is a 30a version of my own.
As well as a 2 elements, 2 pumps, PID controlled that likely will be similar to a 30a version of TiberBrew. I can also put up a 3rd kit with a Kal clone, similar function, different insides.
I also have the BCS model kit built, just waiting on the flanged outlets to finish and then brew a batch with it.

The target prices for the kits, with an included recommended wiring diagram AND enclosure, shipped, is under at $250, versus $300 if you bought all the pieces together. Likely, excluding the enclosure, the kits will sell for $175 versus $195. Keep in mind this is the BCS model, the PID model will be similar, but it has fewer LEDs and 2 way switches rather than 3-way. I'll get my butt in gear and try and get these up this weekend while I'm brewing some beer.

Once this all gets up, I'll likely go quiet on new items for a while.

Another look. Nearly completed BCS build. The guts will be similar in the PID version, minus a few things, and obviously completely different front.

door.jpg

inside.jpg

One thought came up: Should I include wire and blade fittings in the kits, or not? I'm on the fence with this. All the wire I will supply will be black, and black. I can get it at a decent enough price to be better then going to Home Depot, but wife is against me stocking wire. It might have something to do with the fact that my day job has wire reels the size of small cars (some medium sized cars too).

what are you plugging the bcs into there and do you sell it? I need to power the bcs and router bridge and that looks small enough to fit in my enclosure

One thought came up: Should I include wire and blade fittings in the kits, or not? I'm on the fence with this. All the wire I will supply will be black, and black. I can get it at a decent enough price to be better then going to Home Depot, but wife is against me stocking wire. It might have something to do with the fact that my day job has wire reels the size of small cars (some medium sized cars too).

As far as the wire, I would say not stock but there needs to be some really good diagrams/instructions/pictures for the electrically inept out there (myself included, although I am not completely broken).

This looks really exciting! I really like the fact I can get most everything in one place and all of the options. I'll be waiting for the 2 pump/2 elements (firing at same time) panels.
:mug:

Tom_FL said:
Do the prices you quoted for kits include the BCS itself?

No, but I will put the option to add the BCS up, and make it worth while, save you a few dollars in shipping.

kosmokramer said:
what are you plugging the bcs into there and do you sell it? I need to power the bcs and router bridge and that looks small enough to fit in my enclosure

Its a DIN mounted outlet. Right now I just have a single plug (its up in the store). There is a dual plug available, that I will add later.

cliffhanger1821 said:
As far as the wire, I would say not stock but there needs to be some really good diagrams/instructions/pictures for the electrically inept out there (myself included, although I am not completely broken).

This looks really exciting! I really like the fact I can get most everything in one place and all of the options. I'll be waiting for the 2 pump/2 elements (firing at same time) panels.
:mug:

First few kits will likely just have a drawing, maybe some photo tips. If I can I will take photos of what I did with the build and video to help explain it more completely.

Would like to see a BCS kit that can control 2 elements at the same time(would like to be able to do back to back batches for full flexibility)

Presumably the eventual PID boxes would not include the PID controller then too? Very interested in this idea. 50a PID Box, let me know when you have it.

Would like to see a BCS kit that can control 2 elements at the same time(would like to be able to do back to back batches for full flexibility)

I did this with my build 2.0 - I do back to back brew sessions

See post 536 for the end result

Love it, 60 amp subpanel and two 30 amp GFI per leg. Can run 2 elements and three pumps or similar on outlets at one time.

I can go back to back as well on my 50a BCS setup. I don't use it though to to a design aspect of my setup that I need to mod. I recycle my knock out water into my HLT kettle for cleaning. I need to add a 3 way valve allowing me to redirect down the drain.

Part of my design requirements. I want to allow the on/off control of the panel via a 2-way switch on a larger contactor. I have a limit of 40a at the moment, but planning on having 63a din mountable contactors in the next few months.

30a setup should be the perfect setup for most, for those who want 50a, please contact me and I will work on a custom quote based on my design requirements.

There are one or two suppliers for RIMS tubes. It seems to me the ultimate kit would be "everything minus a RIMS tube"

I bought my RIMS tube and I then I bought everything else and about half of what I bought wasn't needed and wasn't worth the shipping to return it. I would have bought an all in one kit with out flinching if I had the option.

Latest posts

Back