Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a citra dry hopped pale that I just tapped, so count me in if this meetup goes down

Is anybody going to the Craft festival next weekend? My group got the VIP session which looks outstanding for the most part.

We are not able to make it this year, we have a mission of mercy out of the area. For anyone still contemplating, I recommend the following deal (got this note in my email, excellent people!)

The Dawson Street Pub will once again be running a bus trip to
The Philadelphia Craft Beer Festival at the Philadelphia Navy Yard
Saturday March 1, 2014.
Sorry for the late notice, had trouble confirming thetickets for this year,
but we are all set.
We are meeting at Dawson Street Pub at 10 am.
The bus will depart Manayunk from Ridge Ave near Dawson St at 11am.
We will get back to Manayunk about 6pm.

Tickets are $90,
This includes VIP admission to the beer fest.
The bus to and from the event.
A Dawson Street Pub t-shirt.
Breakfast - Marchiano's Bakery stuffed breads and tomato pie.
One draught beer.

If you are interested. I need t-shirt sizes and every persons name
emailed to me asap. I also need the money asap, I have to pay for the
tickets in advance.
So this is first pay first served.
Email me at
[email protected]
If you are interested

Cheers!
Dave

I'd be down for a HBT meetup. I haven't been on here much the last few weeks because of being crazy busy with work. Seems weird since my job is homebrew related...

I also haven't brewed in forever. That's not important though. I still have 5 taps pouring at the house.

I've been working on this the last few days...

20140224_151141_zpsocwzoltn.jpg

20140208_190956_zps8fihh4ns.jpg

Might actual inspire me to brew again.

Anybody know how they do the awards for people who couldn't go to the award ceremony for wotw Saturday night? Saw online today that I came in first in the imperial Ipa category but I couldn't go last night...

I went there yesterday to pick mine up (3rd place in the smoked beer category) and they had the scoresheets stuffed and ready for postage. I'm not sure about the awards and prizes though, I think you have to go pick them up. At least if you do, you will probably get a choice of prizes instead of whatever they send you.

Anybody else have anything place in wotw?

I worked 13 hours that day at the event. But my only prize was some fat OT pay. I don't enter brewing competitions. I won't go into my usual rant here...

Now you've got me intrigued... I'm interested to hear your concerns with brewing comps. Maybe this isn't the place for it though...

I went there yesterday to pick mine up (3rd place in the smoked beer category) and they had the scoresheets stuffed and ready for postage. I'm not sure about the awards and prizes though, I think you have to go pick them up. At least if you do, you will probably get a choice of prizes instead of whatever they send you.

Anybody else have anything place in wotw?

I stopped in last night to Keystone Homebrew and picked up my ribbon, score sheets and was able to pick my prize (picked a case of Free Will's HopGeek and a Victory tee shirt). :mug:

I'm in for a meet up but ask someone else to plan it. I'm not good with that type of planning. I would like to have experienced brewers try my beers for feedback.

Neutral location or home field advantage? I'm always willing to host events. I've got a pretty good little pub going in my basement.

I don't wanna clutter up this thread with my competition brewing rant. If you really wanna hear it Spook send me a PM. I'll go nuts if you want my whole rant...

I'm down for a meet up. I don't have much beer to offer up due to not brewing much last year, but I'll bring what I got.

Also, this is my 100th post...

I'd be game for a meet up if I can fit it around my odd work hours. I have a few beers if be interested on feedback from.(at least if I can find time to get them in a keg to carb up that is)

Sent from somewhere to someone

GLUB Club meeting tonight in Chestnut Hill at Campbell's Place on Germantown. Starts around 7:30. Bring beer...

So I had an interesting experience today. Put left over pizza in box into my beer fridge. I have a Hopslam clone kit in there. The pizza now smells like hops.

Milldoggy this morning was brutal but I got an outdoor session in this afternoon. Have to make sure I have a back up keg for st. Patty's weekend. Here's hoping I get a fast fermentation. My starter was going nuts so hopefully it keeps up.

With the snow expect tomorrow I got a nice starter going for a Hopslam clone. Looks like the snow will be very minor so kiddos should be in school. Sounds like an afternoon of brewing during work.

Anybody on here a member of Bruclear? I'm going to my first meeting on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed a peanut butter banana porter this weekend for a club competition in April. Luckily I was able to brew it on my stovetop because I only did a 2.5 gallon batch so I stayed nice and warm inside.

I brewed a peanut butter banana porter this weekend for a club competition in April. Luckily I was able to brew it on my stovetop because I only did a 2.5 gallon batch so I stayed nice and warm inside.

Can you share that recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sure, but it is an experiment that I have never brewed before so I can't testify to how successful it will be...

2.5 gallon batch
1.062 OG
around 45 IBU
60 min mash @ 154 degrees
60 min boil
WLP300 (the 'banana')

4.5# US 2-Row
.5# Crystal 40L
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
4 oz. Flaked Barley
2 oz. Black Malt
4 oz. Light Brown Sugar (added @ 30 min into boil)

.5 oz Cluster (7.1%) 60 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer (9.7%) 20 min

2 week primary and then add peanut butter extract to taste at bottling.

I'll be moving to philly in July. Excited to get involved in the homebrew scene there!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Not sure, maybe center city or northern liberties. Heady for sure!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I think with saturday's temps, I'll be having another marathon brew session. 10 gal of a doppelbock, 5 gal of our club competition beer, 10 gal of an IPA, and maybe 10 gal of our house pale. That's alot of beer. Definitly have to do the first two (have had teh grain for the dopplebock in the back of my car for 2 months now), and get the club beer ready in time for the competition (end of the month). Not sure whether the house pale or the IPA (maybe both, if I sneak a brew in on friday, we'll see). Either way, that's a serious amount of grain...

I think with saturday's temps, I'll be having another marathon brew session. 10 gal of a doppelbock, 5 gal of our club competition beer, 10 gal of an IPA, and maybe 10 gal of our house pale. That's alot of beer. Definitly have to do the first two (have had teh grain for the dopplebock in the back of my car for 2 months now), and get the club beer ready in time for the competition (end of the month). Not sure whether the house pale or the IPA (maybe both, if I sneak a brew in on friday, we'll see). Either way, that's a serious amount of grain...

No wonder you need moar grains! Thats intense.

I took advantage of the "warm" (see 40f) day last saturday to brew 22 gallons. A Rye Saison that will be split with all of the Brett Blends from The Yeast Bay and a DIPA with Pale Malt/wheat/oats and hopped heavily with Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo.

No wonder you need moar grains! Thats intense.

I took advantage of the "warm" (see 40f) day last saturday to brew 22 gallons. A Rye Saison that will be split with all of the Brett Blends from The Yeast Bay and a DIPA with Pale Malt/wheat/oats and hopped heavily with Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo.

I "took advantage" and did a brake job/oil change/tire rotation. :(

Latest posts

Back