2012 Hop Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extra_medium

Reaction score
May as well get this started now. I will have cascade, zues, brewers gold and centennial available. Cover shipping and first come first served...I will also have some wild hops (no real info on them, I am bring some into my collection and thought I would offer) I found near me available.

So how does this work, I ask for a rhizome from you and I send you one in return? I wonder if anybody is willing to send pruned rhizomes out to others for free (only paying for shipping)? Since a lot of people have to prune their rhizomes back anyways.

May as well get this started now. I will have cascade, zues, brewers gold and centennial available. Cover shipping and first come first served...I will also have some wild hops (no real info on them, I am bring some into my collection and thought I would offer) I found near me available.

I'm interested in Zeus and Centennial, but alas have nothing to trade or send back.

extra_medium said:

I have nugget and williamette. Would like to trade for Zeus and Centennial

I should have cascade and chinook, would love to trade for zeus and centennial.

I am interested in Golding, Mt Hood and Sterling. I won't know what I have in trade until this spring when I dig everything up to transplant into the new hop bed, but it's likely to be Cascade. I also have a mystery hop that I'm happy to part with.

I have nuggets and upstate NY feral hop rhzomes to swap. I'm looking for strisselspalt, santiam, saaz, cascade, and challengers.

Do think you'll have 2 cascade and 2 centennial available? If so, I cal dibs plus the cost of shipping!

Thanks,

I could use 10 centennial but I have none to offer as my plants are all 2 years and under. If you are interested, let me know what I owe. Thanks.

Yooper said:
I will have hallertauer, cascade, and chinook that I'll be trimming.

Yooper, I could use 4 cascade to finish out my row and 8 chinook to finish out that row. If you are interested, let me know what I owe. Thanks also.

I have cascade and nugget and would be interested in trading for chinook or centennial. How is every one harvesting their rhizomes.

Lamp24 said:
I have cascade and nugget and would be interested in trading for chinook or centennial. How is every one harvesting their rhizomes.

Mine are currently in containers and I will be transplanting them. This will make getting the rhizomes real easy. Typically, you would dig them up a little ways away from your main bine. They should be just a little bit under the surface of the soil (they are basically root cuttings). The good ones will have white shoots and I would suggest to include as many of the little hair like roots connected as well as the shoots and, IMHO should be 4 to 10 inches long.

Mine are currently in containers and I will be transplanting them. This will make getting the rhizomes real easy. Typically, you would dig them up a little ways away from your main bine. They should be just a little bit under the surface of the soil (they are basically root cuttings). The good ones will have white shoots and I would suggest to include as many of the little hair like roots connected as well as the shoots and, IMHO should be 4 to 10 inches long.

The 'good ones' that have the white shoots are rhizomes and the other ones without the white shoots are roots. Cuttings from rhizomes can start new plants where as cuttings from roots cannot. Sorry XM, but your phrase "they are basically root cuttings" may lead to some confusion. Grow On!!

Cascade and Nugget here. Chinook is only two years old so cant help there. I will take whatever you got. PM is interested.

I'm looking to start growing hops this year. Would love someone who has an extra cascade, saaz, hallertauer, liberty or northern brewer to offer to send one my way (I'll pay for shipping of course). I hope to pay it forward next year if I am able to successfully grow my hops this year.

Thanks!

I want to start growing hops this year. Looking for East Kent Goldings, Magnum, Saaz, Coumbus, Cascade and Centennial to start out with. Will gladly pay for shipping and return the favor when they get bigger. I do not have anything to send out, since I am just starting out. Just looking for 1 of each. Anyone in Michigan, I travel from grand rapids North to White Cloud, south to portage once a week and can pick them up. Also travel to Flint and Auburn Hills once in a while. PM me and we can work out the details.

I have chinook, saaz, crystal, golding, cascade, fuggle, sterling, nugget, cluster, brewers gold, centenial, zeus, and canadian redvine. Haven't seen shoots yet and haven't dug rhizomes, but I typically get at least a couple rhizomes of each every year, with a ton of fuggle and cascade I'm looking to trade for varieties I don't have yet, especially citra or sorachi ace if I possible. PM if you want to swap.

citra or sorachi ace if I possible.
unfortunately not possible - those two varieties are patented/non-public. no one has them, except the farms that own them or are under contract (which includes stipulations that they not sell/trade the rhizomes). they'll go public at some point... who knows when, tho.

unfortunately not possible - those two varieties are patented/non-public. no one has them, except the farms that own them or are under contract (which includes stipulations that they not sell/trade the rhizomes). they'll go public at some point... who knows when, tho.

Thanks for that. BTW, that's an excellent hop comparison table you put together. We all appreciate you doing that so well.

Oh, where did you get the info on the Canadian Red Vine variety. A fellow member threw in some on an exchange I did a couple of years back, but I haven't been able to find much info about them to brew that much with them. They grow like a weed on steroids and produce a ton of cones even in parital sun.

Thanks for that. BTW, that's an excellent hop comparison table you put together. We all appreciate you doing that so well.

Oh, where did you get the info on the Canadian Red Vine variety. A fellow member threw in some on an exchange I did a couple of years back, but I haven't been able to find much info about them to brew that much with them. They grow like a weed on steroids and produce a ton of cones even in parital sun.
thanks for you kind words, always nice to hear it's useful.

i found info on the redvine a little all over the place. my research methodology wasn't very rigorous - as i came across a new source of info i'd add it to the spreadsheet without keeping notes of what came from where. so the best i can tell you is that the source is one of the references at the bottom of the spreadsheet...

i just googled "how to use canadian redvine" and came up with a bunch of info. some compare them to cluster, while others mention cascade. they contain a hig percentage of cohumulene so they aren't good for bittering (unless you like that harsh cohumulene bitterness, of course).

A fellow up in New York, Norm Soine(RIP), gave me some rhizomes back in the early 90's and no one knew anything about them. While visiting out in Oregon I asked Dr. Al Haunold. He did an oil profile on them and positivly ID"d them. So now they're growing at the research center collection. I never picked up anything really desirable 'aroma-wise' from them, but what do I know. I can smell pretty good, but not good enough to pick up what others can. http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/person/2450/hopcultivars/21679.html

Just got done digging for the day and here's a pic of the monster Redvine crown. it's been in the same location for about 14 years and gets cut back every Spring. Never had any escapees yet.

Rhizome Redvine 4.jpg

stupid ohio weather...shoots are already over a foot tall! I'll try to get some in the mail this weekend. those that PM'd me, i need mailibg addresses, I'll try to get everyone.

Does anyone have any rhizomes left that they want to sell? i know its late in the year, but trying to get some in the ground now so they'll do better next year.

Rehashing this thread. I would like to get either Warrior or Summit, I have cascade, centennial, Zeus, brewers gold, Canadian Red Vine, Willamette, chinook and either EKG or Saaz (I think I got their labels reversed last year). OR if any one is just interests in paying for shipping I can send out a rhizome. I am taking them out of their 30 gallon containers they have been in for the past three or four years and putting them in the ground soon. PM me address and type and I will get them out as soon as I can.

Rehashing this thread. I would like to get either Warrior or Summit, I have cascade, centennial, Zeus, brewers gold, Canadian Red Vine, Willamette, chinook and either EKG or Saaz (I think I got their labels reversed last year). OR if any one is just interests in paying for shipping I can send out a rhizome. I am taking them out of their 30 gallon containers they have been in for the past three or four years and putting them in the ground soon. PM me address and type and I will get them out as soon as I can.

What would shipping be to 48879 for Cascade (and if possible Centennial)? Do you take paypal?
Thanks

Shipping would be what ever the USPS charges for the flat rate boxes... I think it is $5 or $6. I will get a list of people that PM me and let them know the shipping when they are sent out.

I'd like to get 1 rhizo of Centennial, Chinook, and Zeus.

For trade, two of mine you already have (Cascade & Willamette). I have 3rd season Hallertau if you're interested, but it'll be another 2 weeks at least till the ground thaws in Minny.

I'll send you a PM Ext Med.

got plenty of calypso.... and columbus whole leaf frozen

Back