You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you spend a fortune on a batch of a very old, nearly extinct style, & the liquid yeast is DOA, no car, lhbs closed today, no ride till after 1PM or later tomorrow, & you're risking infection in the not-so-cheap wort. But you still hope for the best!...

When you send a fortune on a batch of a very old, nearly extinct style, & the liquid yeast is DOA, no car, lhbs closed today, no ride till after 1PM or later tomorrow, & you're risking infection in the not-so-cheap wort. But you still hope for the best!...

What's the style?

When you read in a novel: "She wore a simple black sheath and no jewelry. Her perfume was a floral scent with an undertone of spice."

And you think: "Which hop is that?"

When you read this and think Hallertau Mittelfruh, yep definitely Hallertau, or is it Northdown?

When you read previous post and say crap I totally did that .;)
Totally, dude! :cool::goat:

What's the style?
Nearly extinct, very old German Festival gruit ale called Mumme'. I have threads about it that started in general discussion, & wound up in the BIAB forum. it goes back to at least 1392! Dang yeast was inflated when they shipped it. But took so long for me to use it, they wouldn't replace it. Need a ride to JW Dover today to get more yeast asap!

Dang yeast was inflated when they shipped it. But took so long for me to use it, they wouldn't replace it. Need a ride to JW Dover today to get more yeast asap!

That is why you make starters. I have used yeast packs that were years old with great results by making stepped starters.

Not making a starter on yeast that old is just dumb.

When you are about to turn a quarter of a century old (yeah I know, but big at the time) and you really just think about how you can escape the celebration and brew your favorite homebrew beer. Starting with drinking some bottles to harvest this Friday cause the bloody yeast is hard to get here.

That is why you make starters. I have used yeast packs that were years old with great results by making stepped starters.

Not making a starter on yeast that old is just dumb.

I've had yeast packs that did nothing in a starter except confirm they were dead. YMMV

I've had yeast packs that did nothing in a starter except confirm they were dead. YMMV

That is the point of a starter, to confirm that you have viable yeast to pitch. Without making a starter you are taking a big gamble.

No kidding. Keep it civil. Different skills levels here people!

look at the post count...

That doesn't necessarily mean I've done everything. It had crossed my mind to do that first. But the last time I did that, it took a week to get going without a stir plate. So I winged it. That's why they call it gambling. I did clean & sanitize well, however. I have a stack of those round, flat craft magnets & a 32CFM computer fan laying around. Would those magnets be strong enough to work? But being civil would be nice. Nobody likes a buzz-kill...

Guess I'll have to break down & look for a source of rare earth ones then?...a stir plate would be nice at this point. Not to mention, an O2 kit.

That doesn't necessarily mean I've done everything. It had crossed my mind to do that first. But the last time I did that, it took a week to get going without a stir plate. So I winged it. That's why they call it gambling. I did clean & sanitize well, however. I have a stack of those round, flat craft magnets & a 32CFM computer fan laying around. Would those magnets be strong enough to work? But being civil would be nice. Nobody likes a buzz-kill...

Find an old hard drive. The magnets is there are plenty strong enough. And all it takes is ripping it to pieces.......

No kidding. Keep it civil. Different skills levels here people!
I didn't see where things didn't get civil. If an individual who has been interviewed for a front page article here and written a book on homebrewing makes a dumb mistake, it should be called out as such.

And calling it a dumb mistake is just that. It's not like he called him an idiot or otherwise questioned his intelligence; just pointed out that in that specific set of circumstances, his chosen set of actions was not the best, and someone with that purported level of experience should have known better.

When you have a brew buddy/farmer and he plants 5 pounds of barley seed for you. AND time to harvest ... you are in an antique with swmbo and you tell her you "need", and are looking at, a very old sithe in order to harvest the grain.

I didn't see where things didn't get civil. If an individual who has been interviewed for a front page article here and written a book on homebrewing makes a dumb mistake, it should be called out as such.

And calling it a dumb mistake is just that. It's not like he called him an idiot or otherwise questioned his intelligence; just pointed out that in that specific set of circumstances, his chosen set of actions was not the best, and someone with that purported level of experience should have known better.

Then let's call it not being tactful, even least terse. And I did explain my reasons for not making a starter this time. Not a good one, mind you, but a reason. I just didn't want to let the wort sit there...but there's a right & wrong way to say something. Would you like it put that way? No, of course not. so don't expect me to like it either. Don't do it to others if you know you don't like it - do unto others as you would have them do unto you.-

Would you like it put that way?
If I was brewing an expensive grain bill, with yeast of questionable viability, and no way to get to the LHBS (Which, for me is basically EVERY brew, as there is no such thing as LOCAL - nearest store is over an hour away), and did not check the viabilty of the yeast *before* starting the brew?

Yeah, you're not going to hurt my feelings if you call that a dumb move.

Then let's call it not being tactful, even least terse. And I did explain my reasons for not making a starter this time. Not a good one, mind you, but a reason. I just didn't want to let the wort sit there...but there's a right & wrong way to say something. Would you like it put that way? No, of course not. so don't expect me to like it either. Don't do it to others if you know you don't like it - do unto others before they do unto you.-

Fixed the saying for you!!!

you know you are a homebrewer when you see a bunch of people get all riled up over someone calling someone else's questionable homebrewing technique "dumb"

I wouldnt even get into trouble for saying that in the 3rd grade...

you know you are a homebrewer when you see a bunch of people get all riled up over someone calling someone else's questionable homebrewing technique "dumb"

I wouldnt even get into trouble for saying that in the 3rd grade...

You know you're a homebrewer when you watch a bunch of other homebrewers argue about who's more of a homebrewer.

Really? Get over it. Someone called something you did dumb. (Let's face it. It was.) They didn't insult your mother, wish infections on all your future brews, tell you your last IIPA tasted just like Bud Light, or kick your puppy.

When an experienced brewer makes a mistake that he should have known better for, he's got two choices. Post it, own it, and take any ribbing he gets, knowing he deserves it, or don't post it. You don't get to post full details of a dumb move, and not expect someone to call you on it.

It amazes me that someone of legal drinking age can be so butthurt about something like this. Do we need to start posting trigger warnings before we point out someones errors?

Wow...so these days it's socially acceptable to insult people & tell the insulted to get over it? We got whooped for talkin' like that in our day. We were taught to express it, sure, but tactfully, not like some snotty kid. That was improper in my day. I still find it distasteful...but, let's move on, shall we?

Well, I only have one open space left to put a fridge in for the bottled beers. I was thinking of something to go on top of my brew stand, since an outlet is to the left of it. Here's a shot of the stand, an old printer hutch...

Here it is on the right of the frame.

When you continue to cruise Craigslist even though you already have 4 of just about everything you use. I was talking to guy last night about swapping an old orange plastic canoe for 4 kegs and most of an all grain system...which is crazy because I love that old canoe and have no desire to keg. It just a sickness in your brain!

You know you're a home brewer when your Wife suggests buying a new house so you can move your brewery out of the kitchen/dinning room and into its own space.

True story ... made me laugh

Might want to investigate what she might be up too. There has to be something in it for her too. How does it go Love, Marriage and a Carriage? :D

When you make a yeast starter but don't have a stir plate so you bring it into the office with you the next morning to give it a shake throughout the day. I got some weird looks when it started overflowing and I had to contain it in an empty trash can....:rockin:

You go to sell your house and the realtor takes pictures and in your kitchen os yeast starter on a stir plate

You go to sell your house and the realtor takes pictures and in your kitchen os yeast starter on a stir plate

When I read this and think, if I were in the housing market and saw a picture of a house with a stir plate in the kitchen, I would totally convince the wife to go see the house.

Back