Cherry Kiwi Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantasia82

Reaction score
I just started making wine about 8 months ago and just bottled my first batch Saturday night of Apple Cider Wine. It was delicious!
So now onto my next batch of wine; CherWi Wine! I bought a cherry wine base from the homebrew store over the weekend and am currently looking for the kiwi base. In the mean time, I am a little uncertain on how to start this! Since my apple cider wine came from the juice from my apple butter, this will be completely different for me.
I guess my questions are this:
1. The back of the cherry base and kiwi base give the recommended yeast to use. Since I will be putting both cherry and the kiwi together in one batch, how do I know which yeast to purchase? (We prefer sweeter wines)
2. Does anyone have a different recipe then the one that I have acquired from the back of the wine base?
3. Is it recommended to keep the wine in a dark place? I was keeping it in my spare bedroom's closet but it now has to be moved out of there and was wondering where to put it next.
4. Is it necessary to add all the chemicals to this batch? With my Apple Cider Wine all I did was add a yeast killer at the end. I used sugar as the yeast and the cleaner when everything needed to be cleaned.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

I would suggest fermenting the two separate and combining them after the fermentation is finished. The yeasts are chosen for these fruits for a reason. I personally don't know the reason, but the fruits are very different. Also, using two yeasts and blending after fermentation is finished will add to the complexity.

The dark place is helpful, but you can cover your fermenters with T-shirts or bags.

The chemicals are there for a reason. Most likely yeast health. I would follow the directions on the kits and get some experience with what does what before you start changing things.

For the Darkness issue, I keep my Carboys covered with TeeShirts. My buckets I figure filter the light well enough with the opaque plastic. I suppose if I had Better Bottles, I'd cover them with shirts also. :)

Back