Modify Recipe for Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rammelkamp

Reaction score
I just bought a Belgian Trippel kit from AHS.

I want to do a full boil, I have a 32 qt. kettle and turkey fryer, and I know that I have to modify the amount of hops that I add.

So my first question is: How do I modify the hop recipe for a full boil? It calls for 2oz. Tradition (bittering), 1/2oz. Kent Golding (flavor), and 1/2oz. Kent Golding (aroma).

Also, the recipe that I got is a Mini-Mash, so it calls for me to soak (steep) the grains (1/2lb. of Carapils and 2.5 lbs. of Belgian Pale) in 2.5 gallons of water at 155F for 45min. Am I correct to assume that I should add the remainder of the water (4 more gallons) after I am done steeping these grains, rather than steeping in the full 6.5 Gallons?

Also, I was thinking about adding the Extract (LME) at the end of the boil, to help with the color, and to minimize the possibility of caramelizing the malt. How will this effect the hop utilization? Since the bittering and maybe the flavoring hops will be added prior to the addition of the malt, will the hop utilization be different?

Thanks for the help!

In terms of going to a full-boil, you'll want to use 15-20% less bittering hops. The others can stay the same.

I don't know enough about PM to say, but I think you're on the right track adding the water later. The extra water may not hurt, but in the extreme it could dilute the mash such that conversion takes a long time and retards the beta-amylase.

Adding the LME at the end of the boil will increase hop utilization a bit, but probably not enough to worry about. Is all the extract LME, or is part of it DME?

Add the rest of the water after the mash is done. The Baron's spot on.

What I like to do is put the grain (I use the very large grain bag) in the rest of the water, stir it a bit while the first run is heating, then remove the bag and add the seconds to the main pot.

Back