Help us and our pan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomerwt

Reaction score
Hello!

After brewing several long-ripening-time beers, and soon we'll be brewing a stout for St. Patricksday, we would also like to brew a quicker beer so we have something to enjoy while waiting for the others. We've heard that hefe-weizen is a good beer to enjoy young?

Also we just bought a 10L (2.6 gallons?) pan, so we could do a partial mash or something (really small all grain maybe?).

So we have these questions:

-Is hefe-weizen a relatively quick beer, or are there quicker beers to brew?
-Is it possible to do an all grain or partial boil in our small pan? If so do you guys have any recipes, or grain kit recommendations?

You could do a mini-mash and a partial boil in a pot that size. No way to do all-grain.

You could do a mini-mash and a partial boil in a pot that size. No way to do all-grain.

So would it be possible to do a 20L extract recipe, say a simple hefe-weizen, with a 10L boil, and then top it up with another 10L (cold water) to get it up to 20L? Or should we split the ingredients in half and do the same boil twice?

Probably good to drink in about 5 weeks. At least mine was. Did a blood orange hefe, one of my best beers.

Probably good to drink in about 5 weeks. At least mine was. Did a blood orange hefe, one of my best beers.

Do you, by any chance, have a recipe for a 10L partial boil for that? It sounds delicious!

You could do two boils except your pot isn't big enough to hold the pre-boil volume for 2.5g post-boil because you would need a pot that can hold 3.5g to accommodate the boil volume. (You'll have about 1 gallon boil off.) I guess you could do four boils...

Back