When do the cones start coming out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For all you experienced guys out there, when can I expect to see cones forming? I have 10 different varieties of 1st year hops tht I just started this spring. They are all in different stages of growth, and out of the 10, there are 3 that I am not going to get anything out of. However there are 4 of the bines that are reaching the top of the trellis, over 14 feet of growth, and I see nothing as far as cones.
These broke through the ground mid to late May, and our first frosts here are sometime as early as September, but we can be as early as August or as late as October. What are my chances? How long do the cones need after they break?

Cone development is linked to day length and variety. Some start as early as mid-June and some as late as the end of August. I don't have any cones yet either and my plants are 5 years old.

Thanks for that. I grew up on a farm, and am use to watching things develop over the summer, so I was starting to get worried that there was nothing happening. After you notice the cones, how long do they take before they are ready?

If you're in Winnipeg, you have yourself some VERY long days right about now. If you have sidearm growth you should start seeing the signs of cone formation in the very near future.

Yes, we do have long days right now. Sunrise is about 5:45 and it is still light out until 10 pm. There are sidearms starting, maybe 5 inches long, so hopefully there will be something to look at soon.
We have also had a very wet spring and summer so far, and now we are getting the top side of the heat wave that is sitting over the US right now. Looking at low 30's C (high 80's F) next week, and with over 15 hours of sunlight, they sure have taken off in the last few weeks.

yep, and those little sidearms will be 1-2 feet long within a week, cones starting to form shortly thereafter I would expect.

Since its that time of year again does anyone have any pics of what they look like when starting? I think I have some cones starting but im not sure since it my first time growing hops.

It's not just day length that affects growth stages, apparently. The wacky New England spring weather has my hops all sorts of confused. We had heat and dry conditions very early (record April warmth, drought, sunny) so they broke ground sooner than last year. Now it's been cool, wet and cloudy for weeks and growth has really slowed to a crawl. None of my bines are more than 3ft tall, and some of them are already sending out side arms - including the Santiam that's only 6" tall! I'm really trying to stay optimistic about this year's crop, but I have no idea what to expect.

The weather has been wacky. Luckily most of mine are 10ft tall or more already. No sidearm growth yet.

wrench said:
It's not just day length that affects growth stages, apparently. The wacky New England spring weather has my hops all sorts of confused. We had heat and dry conditions very early (record April warmth, drought, sunny) so they broke ground sooner than last year. Now it's been cool, wet and cloudy for weeks and growth has really slowed to a crawl. None of my bines are more than 3ft tall, and some of them are already sending out side arms - including the Santiam that's only 6" tall! I'm really trying to stay optimistic about this year's crop, but I have no idea what to expect.

Same here. I have cascades with 4-5 inch side arms and it's only 4' tall.
Edit: Make that 6' Tall.

I just noticed cones starting the other day. They appear as tiny star-shaped things at first. These are third year hops.

Really? Your hops are already flowering? That's crazy. Do they always start this soon or is it early this year because of the weird spring? I cut my first growth back this year becasue of the early warm spell, but I usually don't start seeing burrs until June.

Well after doing some more research I do actually have cones starting. My Cascade (from crown) is between 10-15 ft and putting out cones from each of my 4 bines :D

Back