Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't keg it unless you want to risk permanently contaminating the keg, and all connected tubing, etc the beer will be in contact with. It could become a dedicated sour keg if you're into that. If you are in Texas, you should check out Jester King beers! Also some notable and widely distributed sour beers from Europe include Rodenbach, Monk's Cafe, Petrus (several varieties), and Cuvee de Jacobins. Might also try Orval from Belgium. Not sure if you can get any Prairie Artesian Ales (more funky farmhouse than deeply sour from what I've tasted). You can check www.wherethesourbeersare.com or google for the website and see what you can find in your distribution area. Also Goose Island has several sours - all given feminine names like Sophie, Matilda, Gillian, Halia, Juliet, I think there is one more. The Matlida isn't sour but they are all nice beers.

TD

Oh my local H-E-B has it according to Jester King's website... I NEVER look at the larger bottles. I WILL now!!!! :ban:

Some of the sours/brett beers

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

Hey,

Not saying that your equipment is going to be permanently colonized with the bugs, but it could be. It depends on the equipment.

Wondering where your batch got the infection from to begin with. That piece of equipment is probably contaminated: racking cane? Tubing? Air lock or stopper? Working on my iPad now, don't recall if the photo was a primary bucket or a carboy. If this has already been racked into a secondary, then anything from the primary or between transferring could be contaminated. Many people, including me though I am trying to get away from this practice, ferment in a primary bucket with a bottling spigot installed. These are notoriously difficult to sanitize I have found, and like to leak.

If there is a plastic or vinyl part that touches the infected beer, if there are any scratches, those can become colonized and may be difficult to eradicate the offending critters. Also plastic and vinyl cannot be heated to sterilize like glass or metal can be. Glass and metal can also scratch, just not as easily. Some commercial breweries use the same bottling equipment for clean and sour beers, so you too can potentially sanitize your stuff for use with clean beer as well. It might take more effort to ensure the equipment is clean however. If there is an unseen scratch or something that is sheltering the bugs from chemical sanitizers, it is possible that your sanitization efforts will not be entirely successful. If you wanted to keg, I would suggest that you try and use a picnic tap to dispense so as not to contaminate any semi-permanent beer lines, faucets, etc. I would also suggest that you replace the keg seals and disassemble the keg to thorough cleaning after putting your soured/funky beer into it.

The new book "American sour beers" can offer better and more thorough guidance. It was written by a HBT member.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sour Mash brewed 7-19
1 lb pale malt
1.5 lb cream of wheat
1.5gal water
Slowly brought to a boil over the course of 2hrs.
Let cool. PHed down to about 4.5 w/ acid blend. Pitched a handful of pale malt. Covered let sit for 5 days. No temp control.
Checked it today. Smelled like fresh bread dough. No vomit or diaper or bad corn. Quite pleasant actually. Tasted a sip and it puckers the mouth but no harsh bile like flavors. I'm quite pleased. Brewing a pineapple Gose tonight.

IMG_20140725_131655923.jpg

IMG_20140725_131700941.jpg

IMG_20140725_131704650.jpg

IMG_20140725_131725841.jpg

IMG_20140725_131812417.jpg

Ooo that berry lambic mead sounds delicious!

How's it taste compared to regular mead? Did you go for funky or sour? Or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's actually pretty good. I brought it to a club meeting (the traditional Lambic one), and it got drained pretty quick. It's definately a different taste than regular mead as you can imagine. Both batches are sour and funky. They got pitched with Wyeast Lambic blend.

That's awesome. Did you double pitch with another yeast or just use the lambic blend?

That's amazing. Gonna have to try that man. At what gravity do you bottle? Or do you stop it at some point?

It was completely dry. But I bottled it at 11 months. (7% ABV). I don't want to clog this thread up with non-pellicles so you can direct further questions to PM if you want.

Second runnings of a RIS. left bucket open on 10 gallons of it by grape vines, and flowers on the other. The grape vines are showing signs:IMG_3199.jpg

1 gallon of Tapache. No yeast, just wild fermentation. Tastes good...looks like it may cause hallucinations.
217624d1408035010-tepache-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1408035008.637396.jpg

Tastes good...looks like it may cause hallucinations.

Nice. I got one like that going right now. 3 gallons. It looks horrific, but it smells good. I haven't tasted it yet. Waiting until the 6 month mark.

Nice. I got one like that going right now. 3 gallons. It looks horrific, but it smells good. I haven't tasted it yet. Waiting until the 6 month mark.

This was all strained. It was not really intended to be a sour but I am considering a second batch to let it ride.

This was all strained. It was not really intended to be a sour but I am considering a second batch to let it ride.

I went 100% wild with mine. Made a starter and left it out overnight, then built it up over a month or two and pitched it. I planned on it being a sour, at least I hope it is!

I just brewed my first all Brett beer and its been in the fermenter almost 3 weeks. I opened it up and it looked very different from what I'm used to seeing. It taste great and the gravity is 1.014 I'm going to recheck it in a few days to make sure it's done. My question is this do I need to wait until this settles out to dry hop or can I dry hop it like it is?

1408473824840.jpg

1408473988053.jpg

I just brewed my first all Brett beer and its been in the fermenter almost 3 weeks. I opened it up and it looked very different from what I'm used to seeing. It taste great and the gravity is 1.014 I'm going to recheck it in a few days to make sure it's done. My question is this do I need to wait until this settles out to dry hop or can I dry hop it like it is?

That is a lot of head space. I'll leave it for longer because the gravity can still go down. The pellicle will not go away so you can dry hop on top of it and rack under to bottle. It is best to leave the brett as long as you can. I had brett beers months in the fermenters and turn out nice and bretty

Lacto Brevis starter in Iryepa second runnings.
Good god above,is this ever smack in the face sour!

1408713502549.jpg

1408713526463.jpg

Saison yeast and a roselare blend.

Week 1
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408849707.700425.jpg

1 month
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408849788.671969.jpg

2 months
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408849674.624055.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408851486.052817.jpg
This is a Pizza Port One Down Brown recipe fermented with US-05 and pitched with ECY 20 on 5/10/14
Well, it's the last 3/4 gallon left in the kettle after filling my fermenter.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew.

This is from my bitter monk inspiration when I added the dry hops. This is 6 months with a Brett mix, the mix has at least trois, naard and custer in it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408894494.305013.jpg

Any thoughts on this? It's a rye saison w/3711. I did do a split batch that had crooked stave and JP dregs, but I finished that half 30 minutes later. They have been fermenting close together but not enclosed. I thought sanitation/separation was good. They've been going about 2 weeks. Krausens fell within the first week. Think it's still "clean"?ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409166039.977204.jpg

Any thoughts on this? It's a rye saison w/3711. I did do a split batch that had crooked stave and JP dregs, but I finished that half 30 minutes later. They have been fermenting close together but not enclosed. I thought sanitation/separation was good. They've been going about 2 weeks. Krausens fell within the first week. Think it's still "clean"?View attachment 220376

You sure you don't have your buckets switched? That's definitely a pellicle.

What does the other one look like?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409170455.079954.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409170470.035758.jpg
Very little evidence of pellicle on the "sour" though it was a very vigorous ferment and wouldn't be surprised if there was almost no o2 in there.
The "clean" bucket has definitely been opened more times gravity reading, dry hopping, etc. so, maybe it got contaminated at some point? I wouldn't be upset, just now have to brew something to drink while waiting around for it. Anyone have any specific thoughts on what it might be?

Any reason this might happen in a clean ferment?

View attachment 220390View attachment 220391
Very little evidence of pellicle on the "sour" though it was a very vigorous ferment and wouldn't be surprised if there was almost no o2 in there.
The "clean" bucket has definitely been opened more times gravity reading, dry hopping, etc. so, maybe it got contaminated at some point? I wouldn't be upset, just now have to brew something to drink while waiting around for it. Anyone have any specific thoughts on what it might be?

Any reason this might happen in a clean ferment?

It's hard to see from the pix. How does it taste?

For gravity samples from a bucket no need to lift the lid. Just sneak a skinny 1/4" hose down the airlock grommet hole, and suck some beer out, siphoning it into a glass or hydrometer jar. When you have enough just pull the hose out of the beer. Replace airlock.

When you do have to lift the lid, spray Starsan liberally around the bottom of the lid's rim and the area underneath, or wipe with a Starsan drenched washcloth, until you're sure it's sanitized. Then spray again. I keep Starsan soaked plastic wrap around the lid's perimeter edge, to keep it clean.

The "sour" tastes great with a bit of brett showing already.

My concern though, is really what is going on with my "clean" beer a few posts up with the beautiful white pellicle on it?

The "sour" tastes great with a bit of brett showing already.

My concern though, is really what is going on with my "clean" beer a few posts up with the beautiful white pellicle on it?

What exactly are you asking? The bucket beer obviously has wild yeast &/or bacteria in it and is also getting a ton of oxygen, maybe just from being in a bucket or the bucket has a bad seal. The bugs didn't crawl over from the beer next door. You transferred them somehow or it's contaminated with something else, unrelated to the dregs.

Back