Rhizomes or Growing Tips Near DC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KB12

Reaction score
Hey,
I just moved to the DC area, found out the house I'm in has a big, sunny yard and the owner is keen on brewing/growing some hops. I was wondering if there was anyone in the DC area that might have some rhizomes willing to spare or if anyone has some tips as to what kinds work well in the area? I know slim chance and a little late in the season but thanks for the help in advance.

Don't write off the first year. In my first season I had great production from Cascade, Magnum and Nugget.

Cascade seems to grow well for everyone so that would be a safe one to start with.

+1 on the Cascade. If you like that flavor in your beer, they seem very quick to grow and very resistant to problems. HopsDirect sells rhizomes for pretty cheap right now.

1st year was nearly a bust for me, but with better care they can produce at least a little. 2nd year was pretty bountiful.

I 3rd Cascade hops. They are disease resistant, grow like gangbusters, heavy hop cone producers and add excellent flavor to any beer or ale. Plenty of time to get them in the ground.

I planted mid April last year and harvested 1.8 pounds from my Cascade bines (1 rhizome, one rope, 3 bines)

I added a couple new sources to my list of online hop rhizome sellers.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to dig up the yard and order the rhizomes tomorrow, probably put down a few of the Cascards and another 2 kinds or so. Don't think I've been so excited about yard work since I was a kid and got to play in the fall leaves! Or when I get to cut something with my machete...

Back