espresso stout without espresso machine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I'd like to try the espresso stout recipe from zymurgy - but I don't have an espresso machine. So I'll probably just end up doing a normal coffee.

But I was wondering, has anyone done an espresso stout by running to starbucks or peets or whatever and ordering 20 shots of espresso? If so, is it ok for it to get cold while you are brewing, and also, did the employees think you were crazy?

Thanks.

Just go to your store where they have the coffee beans and the "grind your own" station. Get whatever beans you want and set the grinder to "espresso" or "extra fine" setting. Whatever will grind it really well. Take it home and cold brew it in the fridge.

I haven't done that, no. A Venti Americano has four shots and costs like $2.50. $12.50 for five. Probably wouldn't seem too crazy to order five venti americanos (they will add hot water, but you could ask them not to).

A French Press is a good way of making an espresso with a machine. It won't be as good as a true espresso, but it should suffice. The reason an espresso is so special is the pressure being exerted on the grounds. By increasing the pressure you are able to extract more of the coffee with less water, plus the beans are roasted a little more than normal coffee beans.

I have a coffee stout by cold steeping grounds in sanitized water for 24hrs. Strained it through a coffee filter and added it to the bottling bucket. 3 months in the bottle and they still have a nice coffee flavor.

I'm fond of the Aeropress. Of course, it's $20, so it's not much cheaper than buying the coffee.

But if you'd like espresso-style drinks at home, it's a steal compared to a regular machine. It's like a french press, but with a more conventional shot.

If you don't want to buy anything, I suggest calling local coffee shops (not Starbucks), and asking if they'd be willing to sell you that much coffee. If you're speaking with the owner, offer him a sixer of the finished product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a moka pot and thought about using that, but making 16 shots would take forever (I think it maybe makes 3-4 shots at a time?).

After thinking about it more, I think it would be somewhat fun to go into a coffee shop, order 4 quad-espressos togo, and tell them I'm using it for beer. Might just go that route this time.

A French Press is a good way of making an espresso with a machine. It won't be as good as a true espresso, but it should suffice. The reason an espresso is so special is the pressure being exerted on the grounds. By increasing the pressure you are able to extract more of the coffee with less water, plus the beans are roasted a little more than normal coffee beans.

I second the French Press. It isn't too expensive to pick one up.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001K1878/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Its definitly cheaper than 20 shots of espresso at Starbucks

Or if you can afford a little more, pick of one of these instead of a full blown espresso maker: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IHVE5E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Just go to your store where they have the coffee beans and the "grind your own" station. Get whatever beans you want and set the grinder to "espresso" or "extra fine" setting. Whatever will grind it really well. Take it home and cold brew it in the fridge.

+1. This method works great.

I ended up ordering 4 quad espressos today at Peet's. Dude thought I was nuts, "you know this is going to taste really bad, espresso on its own is only good for about 10 seconds". After I told him it was for a recipe, he didn't seem as skeptical...

We'll see how it tastes. Next time I'll do a cold fridge brew, so I can compare.

Next time, you can just make espresso turkish style (not really espresso, but same idea)

Basically, you take finely ground coffee, boil it in a pan, and let the grounds settle. decant off the coffee and there you go.

I cool my espresso before adding to the beer - it's gonna cool as soon as it hits the beer anyway!. I'm sure yours will turn out just fine :mug:

As you said French press can use to make espresso, but the taste you get from the real espresso machine, that you won't get from that one. Espresso machine have high pressure engines to brew and grinds, were it's dual boilers make the espresso to taste different.

Back