opinions needed on cheap temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashvegas

Reaction score
so i just pulled the trigger on this temp controller off ebay from china:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium_W0QQitemZ280468036368QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414d329b10
it has a dual control for heat and cooling, but the specs seem lower than a ranco as far as amperage. anyway i plan on getting a 7cu.ft. chest freezer as a lagering chamber and i was wondering if you guys thought this controller could handle a chest freezers current draw? if not i have other plans for it so im not out $30. i dont know alot about how power usage and current relate to this things specs.

I would guess that your chest freezer pulls less than 10 A. There is usually a sticker on the freezer near the motor?? that will tell you the current draw. Likely less than 10A so you should be OK....check it out....YMMV.

Just had a quick look at my small and large fridge/freezer units and they are both under 1 amp 230V. Hope that helps some.
And I have just save that to my watchlist for future buying!
Thanks

Back