Funnel and mesh bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avshook

Reaction score
I have always transferred my chilled wort from the boiling pot to the carbouy with a siphon, leaving a pint or two of trub and hops sludge behind. Lately though I have been pouring the chilled wort through a funnel lined with a mesh bag. It seems to airate the wort very well, and when the bag fills up with trub and hops sludge (pellt hops), I wring out the bag and squeeze every ounce of liquid into the primary. Of course I sanitize the funnel, bag, and my hands very well first.
Does anyone else do this? Has anyone had a problem because of this technique?
My results have been great. More beer in the end, less sediment in the primary, and I think it makes the hops a little more intense.

I do something similar, except I have a funnel with a mesh screen to catch the trub. Your method probably gets more of the wort out of the trub so I may try it.

I have not had any problems and my fermentation is pretty aggressive and pretty consistent within 10-12 hours.

I usually dump everything into the primary and let time sort it out.

Unless I'm using whole leaf hops -- then I siphon wort through a kitchenaid over-the-sink colander into my bucket and dump all the hops into the colander. Then push the crap out of the hops with my plastic stir paddle to try and squeeze the wort out of them. It ain't pretty, but it seems to work. No crazy off flavors and my beer seems to be nice and clear after a 3-week ferment.

Latest posts

Back