Barleywine starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AggieChemDoc

Reaction score
All,

I am planning to brew a barleywine this afternoon. I made a 3.5 L starter on my stir plate on saturday, and last night it was at high krausen and thick with yeast. I put it in my beer fridge last night to crash the yeast, but this morning it is still krausening and although there is a nice little cake of yeast at the bottom of my erlenmeyer, the flask is still very white and milky with yeast, meaning I still have a ton of yeast in suspension. I do NOT want to pour a gallon of 1.040 DME in my barleywine just to pitch enough yeast. Any suggestions on what to do? Just pitch the cake, or try and crash the yeast in the freezer?

DONT put the yeast in the freezer. you will kill most of the liquid yeast and defeat the purpose of making the starter. just wait longer. your going to be aging your wine a year so an extra day or two now wont matter will it.

Decant the starter into another clean flask and put this back into the fridge to allow it to settle. Pitch the cake and then pitch the cake from the second flask as soon as it settles.

Back