WLP862 Cry Havoc yeast experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RascalKing

Reaction score
i am still new to home brewing and am using White labs WLP862 Cry Havoc yeast and am sure unsure about this yeast. is this a good yeast? does anyone have experience/ horror stories in regards to this yeast?

I have used a couple of times with pretty good results. It is forgiving in the temp range it can ferment at but I went on the cooler side at around 62-64. I chugged along for at least a week each time. It took a while to clear but the product came out fine. It is said that it is the house yeast for Papazian and he makes a variety of styles.

I've used it before to good effect, in an IPA at low ale temps (low 60's) and a CAP at high lager temperatures (55F or so). Personally, I like it. I've seen suggestions that it doesn't attenuate as well as some yeasts, but I managed to get it to go 75+% apparent attenuation with a healthy starter and good aeration.

In fact, I have some of it washed in the fridge -- I think it's about time to get it going on a new beer.

I am using this Cry havoc yeast WLP862 for a German Pilsner (even though it is good at both ale and lager temperatures, was mainly a lager type) Berries, apples type and biscuit strains - It has been 48 hours no sign of yeast wanting to come out and play, which i was told would take longer for this yeast to get going. Started fermentation at 55 degrees.

i am still new to home brewing and am using White labs WLP862 Cry Havoc yeast and am sure unsure about this yeast. is this a good yeast? does anyone have experience/ horror stories in regards to this yeast?

I did not have a positive experience with it. Was a bit apprehensive about a yeast that bills itself as both an ale and lager yeast. Used it in an ale recipe and it did not attenuate well at all. The beer is still sitting in a keg in a corner - I have an aversion to throwing out any beer and normally time heals all problems with most beer but this is one that has not improved at all with time so it will go down the drain when I get around to keg cleaning.

Back