frozen beer lines, beer is bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i did a search on this site using "frozen" as my keyword and only came up with 2-3 threads, none of which discussed the beer tasting wierd after freezing. my friend just called me and said that his 2 corny kegs had frozen over the weekend (probe outside fridge). he thawed them out and said that his kolsch tasted bitter and was as dark as iced tea. is he out of his mind?:drunk:

I'd have to say that freezing and thawing a beer should not have that adverse of an effect on it. It might do some things to it, but changing the color is not one of them. Freeze and thaw something liquid. What happens to it? Nothing, really. You might damage some unstable molecules or something, but I doubt you'd ruin the beer.

yes to the last to posters! man, you guys are like CSI or something. are you thinking that the beer got mixed via the CO2 line? he has a kolsch in one keg and a sierra nevada clone in the other keg.

It is also possible that he didn't completely thaw them, that would concentrate the beer.

Oh, that's true too. I'd look into that as well. But I'm imagining a full keg of the pale ale, with water expanding as it turned into ice could have easily forced some into the other keg, depending on how full the kegs were.

Back