Help Wort chiller inside of the boil kettle ideas ( Its weird take a look)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramz7887

Reaction score
Take a look at this video please

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rny4rPLIwfA]YouTube - Permanent wort chiller in boil kettle (keggle)[/ame]

The system is hooked up to the plumbing of the house and it will be circulating cold water through the chiller then out to the drain. The two pieces of copper you see will have 90 degree elbow joints with a quick disconnect sharkbite coupling incase I need to remove the chiller.

On the inside right/bottom there is a red cap. I was thinking to have a piece of copper come straight up and then connect to the cold side. Then cut the top part of the chiller to connect to the hot-out pipe on the left.

My questions/concerns is that the coil kinda bounces around a little and I was wondering how I coould add some ridigidity to it? Also I plan on leaving it in the keg during the boil. I was gonna add a hop bag during the boils so that they don't get all around the coils. Also I wanted to add a dip tube to the middle of the keg where the wort pools at the bottom

Thanks

Take a look at this video please

The system is hooked up to the plumbing of the house and it will be circulating cold water through the chiller then out to the drain. The two pieces of copper you see will have 90 degree elbow joints with a quick disconnect sharkbite coupling incase I need to remove the chiller.

On the inside right/bottom there is a red cap. I was thinking to have a piece of copper come straight up and then connect to the cold side. Then cut the top part of the chiller to connect to the hot-out pipe on the left.

My questions/concerns is that the coil kinda bounces around a little and I was wondering how I coould add some ridigidity to it? Also I plan on leaving it in the keg during the boil. I was gonna add a hop bag during the boils so that they don't get all around the coils. Also I wanted to add a dip tube to the middle of the keg where the wort pools at the bottom

Thanks

Are you going to making the hot / cold water connections through the wall of the keg? I suspect it's going to be a pain to clean if you can't remove it. Whats the reasoning for making it permanent instead of removable?

As far as stiffening it up, I would take some14 gauge electrical wire and wrap it around 5-6 coils at a time, in 3-4 spots, until you get up to the top. You can solder the wire to the tubing in a few spots if needed.

I predict that you will soon abandon the idea of keeping it in the kettle permanently. It's going to make it a major PIA to clean the kettle, among other things.

I think you would also have to worry about galvanic reaction. You would have copper touching stainless in a acidic solution. Sounds like you would corrode your coil and start adding Cu ions into your brews.

Hmmm....Verdigrised Pale Ale...

Cleaning is the biggest problem unless you don't mind using hot water and PBW after every brew. Even then, you'd want to scrub the beerstone off after every few batches.

I think you would also have to worry about galvanic reaction. You would have copper touching stainless in a acidic solution. Sounds like you would corrode your coil and start adding Cu ions into your brews.

Sounds like the beginnings of aaa ...a storage battery!

Extra Special Bitter Battery Beer

Hmm.. I really don't think that would be a concern in this scenario? A normal immersion chiller sits on the bottom of the kettle when you are chilling. Also, most weldless fittings use a copper dip tube and a stainless steel washer. IIRC, adding copper to the wort is fine before fermentation, as the yeast will consume it. It's after the ferment is when you need to be careful.

I considered this once too, and got about the same reaction. I thought it would be nice to have one less piece of brewing equipment to pull out, put away, and clutter up the room.

If I were to do it, I would probably mount the inlet and return through the handle portion of the kettle and use unions or compression fittings to make it easily removable for cleaning if needed. I still may do it one of these days.

Ooooo, crazy idea;
You could valve it so you could use your boil kettle as the heat exchanger for a Herms system. When you are done you just dump your BK contents for sparge water. After the boil, it doubles as a wort chiller. HERMS version of the brutus 20, kinda.

I was wondering about that since people will put there chiller into the boil to help sanitize it. I figured why not have it in the whole time. I'm not gonna drill any more holes in the keg they will up straight up the top and make a 90 degree angle back to the return fittings.

If I were to do it, I would probably mount the inlet and return through the handle portion of the kettle and use unions or compression fittings to make it easily removable for cleaning if needed. I still may do it one of these days.

Ooooo, crazy idea;
You could valve it so you could use your boil kettle as the heat exchanger for a Herms system. When you are done you just dump your BK contents for sparge water. After the boil, it doubles as a wort chiller. HERMS version of the brutus 20, kinda.

Look up at sharkbite fittings next time your at lowes they are nice and can be reused.

As far as herms ya I was thinking about that. I tried to be cheap so I didn't have to buy a pump and this ways as cost me a lot more money I think.

Its nice having it connected to the plumbing though since I can make my Hot water tank speed up a brewing session instead of using the burner.

I'd like to do 4 or so batches during a session with a hot water flush in between. I m making beer for five people and we drink alot :D

Okay, gonna bump a dead thread quick, sorry guys. But this been on my mind for weeks and so glad I searched before starting a new one.

I'm thinking a keggle, large stainless steel coil, I've been told stainless steel should be used instead of copper anyways due to a few cases of copper poisoning (feel free to debunk this), inlet and outlet out of the small ring remaining on keg after cutting the top off. Leave enough room between the chiller and the keg to get your hand and a sponge between to make it easier to clean. You could then simply boil to clean or just use a hop bag.

I was hoping to make one before posting about it, but I will make one either way.

I hope I didn't just bump this old thread for a head shake and no responses....

I was gonna do something like that but I already bought and bent a copper coil. If figured if I left it in there I could just boil it clean.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-immersion-wort-chiller-127755/

I ended up using long lines so I can pull it out, but Mine was also connected to the houses water system. Boerderij_Kabouter had a good SS design, and on his build there was a link to a good site to get a cheap prebent ss 1/2" coil for under a 100 I think.

I'm thinking a keggle, large stainless steel coil, I've been told stainless steel should be used instead of copper anyways due to a few cases of copper poisoning (feel free to debunk this), inlet and outlet out of the small ring remaining on keg after cutting the top off. Leave enough room between the chiller and the keg to get your hand and a sponge between to make it easier to clean. You could then simply boil to clean or just use a hop bag.

I have this setup. Check the last page of my build thread. Copper poisoning is only possible by extreme neglect and stupidity. If you copper is forming green oxide, don't brew with it. Otherwise you are fine.

Back