Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
okay this is not an obligatory "is my batch ruined?" thread....

I am pretty sure I am just going to rack off this beer and keep on and see how it goes. BUT -
It is my second brewhouse IPA (check my sig.) dry hopped with 1oz of centennial pellets hops. So why after 4 weeks in primary and almost 3 weeks in secondary with the pellet hops, does it NOW start to form a thin layer of MOLD on top? Seams odd to me since it has not been opened up at all and the airlock has never gone dry...

Anyhow, If I rack it to a keg for conditioning and just leave that top layer behind I am just hoping it will be all good.

comments?

I would assume it is a Brett infection if it is mold like, I have never had an infection yet, so if indeed it is Brett, then I would assume you beer is gonna be sour. Some Lambics use Brett for fermentation to sour them up, but I don't know exactly what it will do to your IPA.

Does it have a band-aid odor?

I've gotten mold before. It just makes a fuzzy layer on the top. I know it wasn't brett though. I racked out from under it. Turned out to be one of the best beers I made.

Back