Midwest's Hop Head Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezer94

Reaction score
Hello,

I ordered 2x the Hop Head Double IPA kit w/ WL001 from Midwest Supplies at Hop Head Double IPA w/Munton's 6 gm dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
It comes with:
9.3lbs Gold (light) LME
4oz Aromatic (for steeping 30min 155-F)
12oz Caramel 60L (for steeping 30min 155-F)
8oz Victory (for steeping 30min 155-F)
1oz chinook (60min)
0.5oz cascade (45min)
0.5oz centennial (30min)
0.5oz cascade (20min)
0.5oz centennial (10min)
1oz crystal (5min)
dryhop 2oz whole leaf (probably cascade)

With Tastybrew recipe calculator it says 6.3% ABV; BeerSmith says 6.9% ABV; and Brewmasters Warehouse's Brew Builder says 7.9% ABV.

The kits says Double IPA, but if it is 6.3% ABV I'd consider that a more standard IPA. Which calculator is right? This will be my 2nd ever brew, but first in 3 years so I'm not sure what to trust.

With the second kit of this I was planning on using Warrior, Amarillo, & Simcoe hops instead of the included for a more DogFish 60-90ish IPA taste.
I don't know if I should use the same hop schedule as the first brew with these other hops?

Thank you!
- Brian

Hello,
With Tastybrew recipe calculator it says 6.3% ABV; BeerSmith says 6.9% ABV; and Brewmasters Warehouse's Brew Builder says 7.9% ABV.

What's your steeping efficiency? What's the final gravity?

According to the HBD recipator, with 40% steeping efficiency and 75% AA, this will be around 7.1% ABV. Depending on your process and how that yeast does, any of the numbers you posted are plausible.

I did this same kit just 5 weeks ago. Came out awesome. I thought my FG was off to when I calculated. OG was 1.068 and the final was 1.014. I came up with 6.78% APV. (I used tastybrew.com) I just tasted one on Friday night. AWESOME. Maybe it would have been a little higher had I done a full boil. Not sure.

I would recommend using a different yeast. i used Safale US-05.

Enjoy:mug:

Thanks! I ordered it with the White Labs California Ale 001 Yeast, but linked it to the dry since its the only one the shows the ingredients. I think I am going to add 1lb of extra light dry malt extract to each kit and then up the hops a hair so I get a 7.5-8% since I love my double American IPA's like Victory Hop Wallop & Dogfish Head 90min.

Does the basic recipe compare taste wise to any commercial American IPA's?

cheers
:mug:

- Brian

The recipe doesn't get extreme as to %alcohol, but it is damn tasty. I have some in the secondary right now and it is the second time I have brewed this. Turns our great!!!

I just brewed this yesterday (AG version actually). I tossed it on a US-05 cake from an APA and this morning the cover of the bucket fermenter was popped off. About an inch off the top of the bucket on one side and a near by carboy had krausen all over it. Can't wait to see what it during during the day today.

I'm looking forward to it as it is my first IPA -- double or otherwise.

Thanks! I ordered it with the White Labs California Ale 001 Yeast, but linked it to the dry since its the only one the shows the ingredients. I think I am going to add 1lb of extra light dry malt extract to each kit and then up the hops a hair so I get a 7.5-8% since I love my double American IPA's like Victory Hop Wallop & Dogfish Head 90min.

Does the basic recipe compare taste wise to any commercial American IPA's?

cheers
:mug:

- Brian

This was my first IPA. This past Saturday night I went to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner before the DISTURBED concert and I had a Dogfish head 90min. The Hophead I brewed had in my mind a better aroma and flavor. I will do this beer again. I also added 1 lbs. of light DME I had laying around and my gravity was where I posted. So give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

Racked this into the secondary yesterday and dry hopped.

This beer smells GREAT!

I can't wait for this one.

i just brewed this yesterday and will rack to secondary for dry hopping. How long did you guys leave in the secondary? im assuming a 14 day dry hooping and then to bottling? correct me if im wrong.

I actually left mine in secondary, on the leaf hops for ~4 weeks...was worried, but 3.5 weeks after bottling...tastes PERFECT. will brew again

old thread, but as good as any to talk about it. I'm brewing this this week, but want to boost the ABV a bit. Say I want to get the abv to about 8.5-9.5% what would you use? Malt or sugar? It is more of an experiment as I love this recipe already but thought a little alcohol bit might make it more interesting.

I brewed this recipe about two months ago. and due to not having my kegerator setup wasn't able to keg it for a month after the secondary fermentation finished. It was without any doubt the best beer I HAVE EVER HAD! :rockin: So i bought another hophead double IPA kit and am brewing it too. Thanks for the recipe breakdown as it showed me that the cost per 5 gallon batch should be about 32$.:mug: by the way. when i did the abv calc my OE was 1.072 and my finish was 1.016 for a calculated ABV of 7.61.

I just moved this from my primary to my secondary fermentor. What color did yours come out as? Mine appears a little dark right now, so I'm wondering if I should have added the LME to the boil later than I did.

Made this brew about 3 months ago. Opened up my first bottle last night best Homebrew I have ever made. If you are an IPA

image-3642939577.jpg

fan give this one a try.

OG-1.083
FG-1.019

I brewed this with a friend back in December of 2013 and just finished the last bottle. This was one of my favorite IPA’s and I’m thinking of brewing it again soon because it came out really well.

This was the Hop Head Double IPA kit from Midwest that we dubbed “The Swamp Thing”, which is based on where I live. It’s a long story.

This is an extract kit, so for steeping grains the kit included 4 oz. Aromatic, 12 oz. Caramel 60L, 8 oz. Victory specialty grains. To my feeble memory, the grains were crushed and mixed together. We just added to the muslin bag.

The hops included in the kit are as follows; 1 oz. Chinook, 1 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Centennial, 1 oz. Mount Hood. The instructions called for these additions in varying intervals of 10 to 15 minutes, and most were in ½ oz. bags so we had 6 separate hop additions throughout the boil.

We did not add any water after the boil so there was a little less than 4.5 gallons in the fermenter. SG was 1.083.

This kit came with Safale US-05 Ale Yeast, but we used a White Labs WLP099. Per the instructions, I let it sit in the primary for about 2 weeks then racked it to a glass carboy, where 2oz. of dry cascade leaf hops were added. Cramming them through the mouth of a carboy with a muslin bag is kind of a pain. Some sanitized stainless steel butter knives were put in the bag to weigh it down. I know, not scientific but it worked to help push the stuff through the neck and to help weigh it down.

I let it sit in the secondary with the dry hops for 32 days, then transferred it to a bottling bucket with corn sugar and bottled, letting that sit for a couple of weeks until it was ready to drink. FG was 1.019.

Getting the leaf hops out of the carboy was even more fun. Next time I brew this I’ll have one of those big mouth carboys, or maybe I’ll just do my secondary in a bucket.

My BJCP friend’s assessment (about 45 days after bottling):

“Just poured this Swamp Thing”. Head is modest and acceptable. Very clear – perfect score for appearance. Past its aroma peak but hops are still there. As it warms more malt comes through. Medium high carbonation providing some carbonic bite followed by a feeling of creaminess on the palate. Hop bitterness dominates through the finish. No inappropriate astringency, no diacityl or DMS. Finish lingers. Very well done and would buy this.”

I think he was being nice… but it really was good.

IMG_0365.jpg

0215142131.jpg

Back