Good place to buy CO2 tanks - Online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyfoot Jr.

Reaction score
once you add shipping you'll probably find the prices are almost identical. I know that in canada the tanks must be shipped without the valve installed, so by the time its shipped and filled you can probably get it for the same price or better locally.

Good luck
John

I've purchased many times from Micromatic and am very happy with the products and service. I've never heard of the other link.

Check Craigslist or eBay. I picked up a 5 lb tank for $50 shipped from eBay and am about to close a deal on a 20 lb tank for $25 from Craigslist.

The cool thing about micromatic is that they have multiple warehouses, so if you order from them, shipping is lower and you get it sooner.

for a portable or spare, wouldn't a 20oz paintball tank be perfect? I have been thinking about getting the paintball tank for portability. especially since Ed seems to like his.

Ed if you had to do it over again would you get the paintball tank and adapter?

There's a guy on eBay who sells 20# tanks with new hydro test stamps for $80. I bought one in early July and it was stamped 06-08. It came in the mail pretty quickly and I had no problems exchanging it down at the beer distributor (and this distributor is one of the ones who is very particular about not accepting tanks that are out of date.) So another $20 later and I was walking out with a full 20# tank of gas. :mug:

Linky

BTW, they are steel tanks (at least mine was). Some people prefer aluminum. Of course when I exchanged it I ended up w/ an aluminum one anyway so it didn't matter. :D

for a portable or spare, wouldn't a 20oz paintball tank be perfect? I have been thinking about getting the paintball tank for portability. especially since Ed seems to like his.

Ed if you had to do it over again would you get the paintball tank and adapter?

Depends on your needs. I would go for the paintball tank for a spare/backup/portable unit. The tanks are cheap and fillable on Sundays (which, like propane is when you run out).

I got both of my CO2 cylinders, all of my regulators, shanks and a bunch of other stuff from Micromatic. They are an awesome company and have some of the best prices and best customer service in the industry.

I just checked their site and the shipping on that $56.95 5lb tank from Micromatic in PA to you in Toledo, OH. is only $7.50. That's only $64.45 for a brand new aluminum tank that won't need to be re certified for five years. Look in your local yellow pages for a fire extinguisher supplier. They will usually be able to fill your tanks while you wait. While a lot of welding supply places will also fill your tank, a lot will also only swap tanks. You don't want to swap your nice, new aluminum tank for a nasty steel tank.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with Micromatic. The place here in town that wanted $89 for a tank will fill, not exchange, tanks for $12-$14 so with shipping I can get a full 5# tank for around $80. I know I can probably get one cheaper through eBay I just prefer to work with an actual vendor.

Back