Not enough yeast in suspension for good carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
I'm a pretty big freak about getting the uncarbonated beer off the trub, and usually get very very very clear beer. I usually do 1-2 weeks in primary, and 2 + weeks in secondary.

My problem is that nothing carbs up the way I want it too. I've had 1 beer that carb'd up nice, and that was a huge mistake (dumped dme staight into bottling bucket and had to stir and get out the clumps). Every time I go by the procedures, I get a crappy 1/2 inch or less head with a typical controlled pour.

I want that good inch or more head. I'm missing out!!!

Does it have anything to do with me being a freak about having clear beer. By racking to secondary and bottling bucket so well and I causing the yeast to be less in numbers when it comes to carbing up in the bottle. Am I taking yeast out of suspension?

Do you mean poor carb, or poor head? If you prime with the right amount of sugars, and age for 21 days @ 70°F, the beer WILL carb unless you have killed the yeast with heat/camden/filters, etc.

More often than not, the head texture and retention is driven by the ingredients and not the priming method.

Are you brewing extract? All grain? Are you adding Carapils to your mash/steep?

Bubbles are bubbles....it's the grain bill that will help determine the consistency and staying power.

Just made the switch to all grain. Do you suggest cara (not just pils I'm assuming) to each recipe you want head retention?

I now know what I mean, it is head retention. There is an adaquate level of carbonation in my beers but I want a bigger head.

What method should I use with my all grain beers? What method should I use with my extract beers?

Did you do a protein rest? Palmer says that long(er) protein rests can mess with your head retention. Any detergents on your bottles or equipment?

Carapils will help with head retention, and so does wheat.

Could you post a recent recipe, as an example, so we could see your process, rest temps, and what you could add or change? Then we could kind of pick through it and see what could help.

And +1 on the glassware- try getting a different glass and washing it really well with hot water to rinse off any soap residue or jet dry from the dishwasher, and pouring into that glass and see if ti makes a difference.

Sadly I do a single infusion mash at the moment. I was thinking about step mashing on my next brew. I do sanitize my bottles by getting a kitchen sink full of star san solution (mixed with appropriate water of course) usually pretty hot. I let them dry, then bottle. Do you suggest rinsing?

So it's a combination of ingredients and mashing technique?

Here's a recent recipe

I don't have anything too recent that's all grain, so here's a recent recipe that I'm not too happy with the head on it. To be honest the head absolutely sucks on it!

Steeping Grains
3/4 lb English Crystal 60
1/4 lb Belgian Aromatic
1/4 lb English Brown

6 lb LME (liquid Light ME)

1 1/2 oz Challenger (60m)
3/4 Kent Goldings (30m)

2 weeks in primary
3 weeks in secondary

3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Thanks for the help

Back