Spent Grain Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melana

Up to no good....
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Spent Grain Bread

3/4 cup warm water
2 Tbs. bread yeast
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon DME
1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1 cup apple juice (can also use Apfelwein)
1/4 cup molasses
2 oz sugar
1 Tbs. salt
1 1/2 cups spent grain
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
~1 cup oats
4 to 5 cups white flour
1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts

Put warm water into mixing bowl and add yeast to rehydrate. In saucepan melt butter and milk, remove from heat and add apple juice, molasses, salt, and sugar. Mix well. Mix in spent grain, wheat gluten, DME, wheat & rye flour and add this to rehydrated yeast. Start to add white flour gradually until dough is workable and does not stick to hands. Knead in oats and walnuts.
Let rise in a covered bowl until doubled.
Punch down and seperate into 2 loaves and put into greased bread pans. Allow to rise again.
Brush loaves with egg wash and sprinkle with some additional spent grain and oats.
Bake at 325 for 45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow.
Enjoy!

I've gotta try this out. What is 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten? I'm really not much of a bread maker so forgive my ignorance. This should go in the recipe database. Thanks for posting.

That looks really good. I've just been adding some grain to regular batches of bread, but this looks way better!

Back