Altbier Gavin's Altogether Alluring Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP036
Yeast Starter
Yes. Hybrid Pitch Rate
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks. Pitched at 56F. Fermented at 58F till 1-2°Plato above FG. Ramp to 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
Cold-crashed, gelatin in FV. Lagering in Keg.
Tasting Notes
Malty, medium bodied, little if any hop aroma, slightly bread-crusty. Yum!
Grain-Bill (80% Brewhouse Efficiency)
Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 9.23.26 PM.png

NB: The acid malt is needed in my setup as I utilize full-volume mashes. No sparging. Thinner mashes may need some form of additional acid. I use acidulated malt for this reason in calculated amounts and subtract them from the originally planned base malt to keep the OG unchanged. If acid malt is not needed in your setup simply delete it and substitute it with Pilsner malt.

Hops
Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 9.24.16 PM.png

Yeast
A starter size based on the date of the yeast vial and a hybrid pitch-rate with my usual method. Starter is decanted prior to pitching the yeast.

Water
Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 9.43.28 PM.png

This is the first time I have ever had an Alt commercial or homebrew so have nothing with which to compare it to.

I did a bit of research into the style and there are a lot of differing approaches to the grain bill. I decided on about 90% Pilsner as the base from which to work, a traditional hop, Dusseldorf yeast and targeted an amber malty water profile in Bru'n Water.

All told, I am delighted with this beer. It is somewhat similar to a Munich Dunkel. Not having had an Alt before I am completely at sea in assessing whether it fits the bill. The most recent BJCP guidelines now have a single category for Altbier. This would have been a Northern German Alt if the 2008 guidelines were still in effect. (Many competitions still use the 2008 guidelines)

Everyone thinks their own fleas are gazelles I suppose but I am quite proud of this beer, my first attempt at a recipe.

Mash profile
Alt Mash Profile.png
This was a step mash with infusions to achieve the planned steps and a single decoction to reach mash-out temperatures. All done via my usual BIAB method.

Another approach would be a single infusion at 150-152F. I think that would work well also. For this beer I wanted to try my hand at an infusion step-mash and decoction. It was a lot of fun albeit quite a bit trickier. A good thermometer is a prerequisite.

OG
OG.jpg

Fermentation Profile
Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 7.59.47 PM.png

Despite the titles which I use to enable me to enter the differing temperatures with ease in Beersmith, all fermentation is done in the primary. No racking other than to the keg after cold crashing and gelatin fining. This beer was kegged 2 weeks after pitching the yeast.
Lagering at ~35F for about two weeks while carbonating. Force-carbonated to ~2.8 volumes. 4 weeks after pitching yeast and it's really great.

FG
FG2.jpg

I will be entering it in the upcoming Octoberfest competition here in north Texas. I'll post the judges feedback when I get it. (Hopefully it does not get too badly dinged). Truth be told, I am quite proud of this beer.

This beer has a lovely white head that thins out but lasts well to the end. It is crystal clear as is typical of the style and beautifully smooth.

Aromatic
alt1.jpg

Alluring
alt4.jpg

All Gone
:(
alt5.jpg

If you brew it, let me know what you think. Enjoy!

Best recipe writeup ever. Includes lots of information. Gold star Gavin. Particularly appreciate the comments on acid malt, and fermentation schedule.

Someone mail this guy a commercial example.

Brewin' this brew this Saturday. I'm going to split it into two 3 gallon kegs: reserve one for moi, and serve the other one up for family at our (Canadian) thanksgiving get-together at the cottage. So it should have plenty of time to lager/cold condition.

But just to be clear, as clear as the beer in your pics, this recipe went from grain to glass in 4 weeks?

@jwalk4
Yep. 4 weeks. Two weeks in the keg carbonating and lagering. Set it and forget it method.

Hope you and yours enjoy it. Be sure to post your thoughts. Like I said, first recipe so I could use any pointers.

Gavin's Alluring Alt,

First off, let me apologize for two things. First, this write up will not be as in-depth as Gavin's original post. In the words of Kayne, "That was one of the best posts of all time." But I did take a few notes on brewing this beer. Second, beer pics provided were done via cell phone camera, so they aren't top quality.

As with all my 5.5G batches, I do a full volume, no sparge, mash-in-a-bag-in-a-cooler, (or MIABIAC, if you will). I get a predictable 70% eff. every time with this setup. However, I rarely do 90 min boils so that was a big variable for me. After adjusting the recipe, mashing, boiling, and cooling, I was pleased to have hit my OG right on: 1.05!

Despite my ability to control temps well with my FTS temp system on my brewbucket, it is exceptionally expensive and difficult to track down liquid yeast here in London, Ont. My brewing guild has a sweet yeast bank, but I have not made the jump to liquid yeast yet. That said, I pitched and fermented a rehydrated pack of 04 way cooler than normal (61-62F). This was the only deviation from the recipe I made. Fermentation was of predictable strength but I attenuated down to 1.007. This was surprising given the temps but I did ramp it up to room temp for the last 5 days.

After a 13 day fermentation and the remaining time cold conditioning/carbing, I have a pretty damn fine beer on my hands.

2ps4y7q.jpg

(Clarity is good, but it doesn't rival Gavin's)

2r22l38.jpg

Aroma: The nose on this beer definitely holds equal sweetness balanced between caramel, malty bread, and I get a little bit of fruit (light raisin-like). Maybe its the yeast.

Appearance: As you can see, my beer is a little darker than the original. I'm not sure if this is because of the 90 minute boil, or just a different batch. But my beer is less copper and more deep amber-almost brown. The head is a little off-white and dissipates after a few minutes, but the legs on this thing clings to the glass all the way down.

Flavor: As per the original recipe, the light toasted bready-malt flavor is very satisfying and pairs well with the subtle caramel sweetness. Again, some fruity notes are present as well.

Mouthfeel: I finished a little lower than expected, which is perceptible in the final beer. So I would describe the body as a light-medium, which also accounts for the dissipation of the head. It will be interesting to see how the carb levels affect this brew over time.

Overall Impression: A great recipe, and a good beer for me. Any sensory variation from Gavin's original beer is likely due to my setup and using 04 instead of WLP036. I'm sure this beer will satisfy the family at our (Canadian) Thanksgiving up north.

Now I just have to keep it on the gas not drink anymore :D

Looks great G. I've drank a LOT of these in Germany. That recipe looks like a winner.

Anyone making an altbier should not think that it is a dunkel-style beer. It's not supposed to be too malty like that (I've made dunkels with 100% munich malt). This is a session beer that's crisp with a hint of maltiness. They have a special holiday version called Alt Sticke that has higher OG, maltiness, and ABV. Altbiers are always drank out of glasses that look a lot like a water glass, called a stange, that has nearly vertical sides.

[edit] looks like you have the right glass! Now brew a kolsch, they are served in the same type of glass (not a suprise, Cologne is a neighbor of Dusseldorf). You'll have that part of Germany checked off the list :mug:

Thanks @passedpawn . Got a lot of inspiration from your Altbier recipe and those cool videos of you kicking around the Fuschein brewery.

I recently had a Dunkel at a nearby Austrian restaurant and yes, you're spot on. A much Maltier offering than an Alt. That's for sure.

Just brewed a Munich Dunkel this morning. Looking forward to comparing the two side by side if I can keep some Alt in reserve for a couple of months.

Been brewing lots of German style beers lately.

In addition to the Alt I've really enjoyed @Tiber_brew 's Kolsch (no Stange ...for shame), a Helles and a Vienna lager

Gotta do a Pils soon. Might have to steal parts of that Pils recipe you shared in another post recently. You should add it to the database.

Thanks @passedpawn . Got a lot of inspiration from your Altbier recipe and those cool videos of you kicking around the Fuschein brewery.

I recently had a Dunkel at a nearby Austrian restaurant and yes, you're spot on. A much Maltier offering than an Alt. That's for sure.

Just brewed a Munich Dunkel this morning. Looking forward to comparing the two side by side if I can keep some Alt in reserve for a couple of months.

Been brewing lots of German style beers lately.

In addition to the Alt I've really enjoyed @Tiber_brew 's Kolsch (no Stange ...for shame), a Helles and a Vienna lager

Gotta do a Pils soon. Might have to steal parts of that Pils recipe you shared in another post recently. You should add it to the database.

Did you see I put that pils up on the beersmith cloud? Might save you a few min.

Re: Pils, I'm going to brew that one more time before I put it up on the database. I'll probably do a double brew day and make that and an alt; you got me thinking about them again.

This will be one of the first lagers I ever brew... it really looks so good!

Did you see I put that pils up on the beersmith cloud? Might save you a few min.

Re: Pils, I'm going to brew that one more time before I put it up on the database. I'll probably do a double brew day and make that and an alt; you got me thinking about them again.

Yeah. Saw that before and just found it again with ease. Thanks PP

No other cloud-stored recipe has passedpawn in the title. What luck.:D

Lookin' good. I might have to try it out soon. I've only had one Alt before but it was way too sweet, but I think that was a bastardized American 8% monster or something. But heavy pils, 5%, what's not to love?

Just an update on the judges feedback on this one.

Two judges tasted the beer. They were BJCP certified and a grand master scoring it a 40 and 39 respectively. I guess the competition wasn't that tough to win with these scores coming out on top. There were 20 entries in the Alt category.

Some comments from the judges.

Aroma: "Light malt [with] caramel aroma, no hop, no diacetyl"

Flavor: "Gentle malt well balanced by noble hop. No off flavors"

"Clean well made beer. Thank you"

"Very enjoyable balance and flavor profile"

I finally started looking at my pH and it was way high (5.8ish). I added 2% acid malt to a recipe and it came down (5.6ish), but I still need to lower it more.

Do you find 3+% acid malt noticeable? I did a quick search and there was some information indicating a perceptible "sourness" above this range...

Going to brew this soon, hopefully before the new year. While doing some research for altbier water profiles I came across an interesting wiki entry on Brau Kaiser's site (link below). I'm going to shoot for a similar water profile. I think Kai did some work with Brewer's Friend, helping develop the water calculator in that tool. That would explain why the Dusseldorf profile in Brewer's Friend looks very similar to the profile on this wiki entry.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.ph...issolved_chalk#Calculating_the_salt_additions

Also, this will be my first attempt at mashing at different temps. Hopefully all goes smooth. I'll chime in when it's kegged and ready for consumption.

Maybe I missed it, but what yeast strain did you end up using? I'm thinking about maybe brewing this guy up this weekend with WLP029, possibly 036. My basement gets down to low 60's and I've got my ferm chamber at 50 for a Vienna lager at the moment.

Maybe I missed it, but what yeast strain did you end up using? I'm thinking about maybe brewing this guy up this weekend with WLP029, possibly 036. My basement gets down to low 60's and I've got my ferm chamber at 50 for a Vienna lager at the moment.

I used WLP036 and a hybrid pitch rate. Hope it works out well for you.

Brewed this guy up today, made a few slight changes based on my preferences and what I have on hand

15# Pilsner
2# Munich
1# caramunich
0.5# aromatic
0.5# carafa special ii

Mashed in at 144f, plan was to do a step at 158 as well but my water pump cut off and the HLT temp kept rising, so I went from 144 to 172 over 40 mins instead of stopping at 158. I have a E-HERMS rig a la the ubiquitous Kal clone.

1oz northern brewer 8.8% FWH
3 Oz Spaltz 2.4% FWH
IBU around 35

Hit 1.051 for OG

Oxygenated 2.5 mins at 3L/min with my oxygen concentrator

6L starter of WLP036, holding at 60F in my ferm chamber

Knew I should grabbed a pic of the hydrometer...

Brewed this guy up today, made a few slight changes based on my preferences and what I have on hand

15# Pilsner
2# Munich
1# caramunich
0.5# aromatic
0.5# carafa special ii

Mashed in at 144f, plan was to do a step at 158 as well but my water pump cut off and the HLT temp kept rising, so I went from 144 to 172 over 40 mins instead of stopping at 158. I have a E-HERMS rig a la the ubiquitous Kal clone.

1oz northern brewer 8.8% FWH
3 Oz Spaltz 2.4% FWH
IBU around 35

Hit 1.051 for OG

Oxygenated 2.5 mins at 3L/min with my oxygen concentrator

6L starter of WLP036, holding at 60F in my ferm chamber

Knew I should grabbed a pic of the hydrometer...

Sounds really good mate.

I think after changing the grain-bill, hop-bill, and mash profile you can justifiably describe this as your own very delicious beer recipe.

Brettomyces' Bodacious Altbier coming soon to a thread near you. ;)

I'd be interested to see how the steadily ramping mash profile affects the FG. Let us know how it turns out.

It got a solid 45 minutes at 144F so I'm not worried about conversion, it just may come out slightly on the thin end but my beers tend to attenuate a little less anyway. And the only Spalt my LHBS had was really low on the AA, so I went with FWH and threw in some northern brewer to get the IBUs where I wanted.

The only commercial Alt I've really had is Long Trail ale, which is not a true altbier really but based on the style. It was one of my gateway beers into craft awhile back and something me and my dad both really liked at the time. So I'm looking forward to finally making my own!

Update on my brew...

Brewed on 12/27 and pitched the mostly decanted starter on 12/28.

FG down to 1.016 from 1.051 which puts me at 69.4% ADF or somewheres thereabouts after 8 days

Taste is great, malty but not too rich, I love the herbal/minty/earthy hop combination from the Spaltz and NB. The IBUs feel to me around 35 perception wise, being that this was all FWH its pretty spot on. Maybe a touch more than expected but good and does not clash with the maltiness.

Hoping this goes down another 4 pts though. As of Saturday it was 1.020 so I bumped up my chamber to 22C. Then this morning I moved the probe into the beer itself and found it was about 20C so I left the probe in the thermowel. So 4 pts in 3 days...just needs to squeek out a touch more! Does this time frame match up with yours Gavin? New to this yeast and I've had a run of beers that don't want to finish out for me lately so I'm a little nervous

Update on my brew...

Brewed on 12/27 and pitched the mostly decanted starter on 12/28.

FG down to 1.016 from 1.051 which puts me at 69.4% ADF or somewheres thereabouts after 8 days

Taste is great, malty but not too rich, I love the herbal/minty/earthy hop combination from the Spaltz and NB. The IBUs feel to me around 35 perception wise, being that this was all FWH its pretty spot on. Maybe a touch more than expected but good and does not clash with the maltiness.

Hoping this goes down another 4 pts though. As of Saturday it was 1.020 so I bumped up my chamber to 22C. Then this morning I moved the probe into the beer itself and found it was about 20C so I left the probe in the thermowel. So 4 pts in 3 days...just needs to squeek out a touch more! Does this time frame match up with yours Gavin? New to this yeast and I've had a run of beers that don't want to finish out for me lately so I'm a little nervous

Yes, sounds very similar. I kegged it at 2 weeks after it hit FG in about 10 days (I checked it at 10, beer was clearly done at that point).

The batch I just brewed on New Years day, pitched at 56F and fermented at 58F is just about at terminal gravity by the looks of things. It's currently undergoing a passive rise to 68F. I'll check the SG in the next day or two and see where it's at but I'm probably looking at a slightly shorter time-frame to kegging this time. This weekend perhaps.

I'll let you know the numbers when I have it Brett.

Haha, I might put it back...I was cycling through a bunch of names from an MST3K episode (space mutiny)

Back