Extract Pliny came out with low sg - do something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird, I just signed up and came to these forums to post the exact same question. I used this extract recipe, full 23 liter, 90 minute boil and came out with an SG of 1.042. The only thing I did differently from any other brew was taking the hydrometer reading before it cooled completely. It was probably around 90F whereas I had to wait until approximately 70F before pitching the yeast.

Anyone's input on this would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is that the recipe is for a 6 gallon batch, and you used 8 gallons of water and didn't get as much boil off as you'd expected. That, or you didn't get a good conversion on your grist. Check the grind on the grains and the pH of the mash water (5.2-5.4 ideal). In the future, to adjust gravity you can add some more fermentables to your beer. It's a good idea to have a little extra light/pilsen DME around for just such an adjustment.

Since you used extract, the only way you can truly miss the OG is to have too much water in the fermenter. If you have 6 gallons of wort, your gravity will be what is predicted but if you used top off water your off OG is due to the mixing. You simpley cannot easily mix water and concentrated wort easily and it is so easy to get a sample with more water than wort.

I boiled approximately 23 liters for 90 minutes which brought it down to maybe 18 liters by the end of it. Then I topped it back up to 23 liters before pitching the yeast. Is it not recommended to do this? I figured it was fine since most extract recipes I've done require 5 liters of wort and topping up an additional 17 liters.

that the problem. 5 liters will deffinatly affect your efficency, or make a batch for 6 gallons and adjust your grain bill (fermentables) accordinyly. I have make that same mistake also. In the future use more grain and your OG will be higher. Another thing is that when you dry hop, the hops take alot of water thus lowering the total volume in the fermenter. Its a common problem with this reciepe.

that the problem. 5 liters will deffinatly affect your efficency, or make a batch for 6 gallons and adjust your grain bill (fermentables) accordinyly. I have make that same mistake also. In the future use more grain and your OG will be higher. Another thing is that when you dry hop, the hops take alot of water thus lowering the total volume in the fermenter. Its a common problem with this reciepe.

Um...John...This was an extract batch. His grains were specialty grains, not base malt.

Since you used extract, the only way you can truly miss the OG is to have too much water in the fermenter. If you have 6 gallons of wort, your gravity will be what is predicted but if you used top off water your off OG is due to the mixing. You simpley cannot easily mix water and concentrated wort easily and it is so easy to get a sample with more water than wort.

I did a full 8 gallon boil. I didn't measure the volume after the boil but it looks to be around 5 gallons. Hard to tell in my 15 GL fermenter. I did not use any top off water. Should i add another can of dme or more dextrose next time?

With that info I'd say more DME. Did you chill the hydrometer sample before you read it? Sampling hot with a hydrometer calibrated at 60 would give you wrong info too.

Sorry, I meant LME, not DME. But now that I mentioned it, would DME be better than LME for some reason? The sample was at 70° when I took the reading.
By the way, at 12 hours, there were no bubbles but deffinately a pressure differential in the airlock. Now, 22 hours in, and it's bubbling like crazy :) My sample that I pulled already had the yeast in because I forgot to take it prior to pitching. I left it on the counter and it's already foamed over with a snake like froth. Pretty cool looking. I'm excited even though this beer is gonna be weak. Do you think it will taste watered down?

I would be concerned about the hops. I would cut down a bit on the dryhopping. Trust me it will still be a hop bomb, Actually with that recipie I think you will be ok. Take a sample once in a while when dry hopping

Finished at 1.01 I put the first set of dry hops in. So far it tastes ok and looks good. Got about 11 days to go!

I added the second set of dry hops yesterday. Sampled the beer and it's still at 1.01. Smells and tastes great. Second set is supposed to go till Monday. I was gonna keg next monday night, chill it all night, carb in the morning, and serve tuesday night. Problem is, the temp has been kreeping up. They were at 67 all through fermentation. Two days ago, at the end of the first set of dry hops, they rose to 72 and are now 75. I've got 4 days to go. What should I do? Continue to let it sit at 75 or just keg it now?

I'd let it set. Once the initial ferment is over the higher temperatures will help the yeast do their cleanup. Your flavors are pretty much set within the first 2 to 4 days.

Just an update... the beer tastes great. I decided to try my first 10gl batch with the same recipe. I double the recipe and added three pounds of additional extract. Same results, low SG. this time I think it's because I didnt boil off twice as much as the 5gl batch as I had expected. So I ended up with a lot more than double in my fermenter. But if it tastes as good as the last batch, that will be okay with me. One thing I noticed is that I checked my SG prior to pitching. I left the beaker on my counter, and it actually started to ferment. Smells a little like a hef... citrusy maybe? Must be some wild yeast around which has me a bit concerned. Hopefully it fell into the beaker and wasnt in my fermenter when I took the sample.

I left the sample with the hydrometer in it just to see what would happen. It completely fermented down to 1.01! I was too scared to taste it. I know some people try to collect the wild stuff but I wasn't brave enough so I dumped it. Smelled funny, like a hef or belgian.
The main batch tastes and smells good so I guess the wild yeast got in there while the sample was on the counter. 10 more days of dry hopping and it will be good to go.

that recipe says substitute 6.5lbs DME for the 13.25lbs grain. 8.5lbs dme is closer.

He says the truth. 13.25lbs 2-row is 13.25*0.6 DME which would be 8lbs DME and not 6.5. Whoever wrote that (even if it was Vinnie) is wrong, but let's forgive 'em, I do too make some mistakes when I am drunk ;)

Back