Utopia Clone - Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfpierce

Reaction score
Hi all, trying to brew a 2 gal utopia clone. OG of roughly ~1.25. Been stuck at 1.12 for about two weeks now. Pitched initially on 2L starter using WLS099. Followed the BYO high gravity procedure of aeration after adding each quart of wort. Pitched fresh yeast a few weeks ago with more aeration. Any thoughts on how I can get this lower? I think FG of actual utopia in 1.03ish. Perhaps my OG was too high? I would appreciate the help.

I'd try making another starter of 099 and pitch it at high krausen rather than letting it ferment out and settle. Yeast seems to take off quicker that way.

For a massive brew like this I wouldn't go any smaller than throwing it on an entire yeast cake. Reading the other utopia threads they had some luck with a yeast cake from a strongish barley wine brewed with wlp099. Even though your only dealing with 2 gallons getting yeast to ferment all that is going to be tough no matter what. I might attempt utopia soon and I have a theory to get it down low but won't know until I try.

Latest posts

Back