Homemade Hop Stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogget

Reaction score
Made my first hoppy beer in quite a while last night. Was going really well until it was time to transfer from the kettle to the carboys. Then it was a disaster. Hops clogged everything. Sigh.

So here's what I came up with today. Its stainless braid from a water supply hose with a stretched out spring inside. Think it will work? would like to be able to your whole leaf and pellet hops.

IMG_0318.jpg

i'll be surprised if the pellet hops don't clog that in short order but it's worth a shot. how do you chill your wort? if it's an immersion chiller then it will clog even faster.

The plan is to immersion chill, then whirlpool with a spoon. then drain. Was hoping having the braid on the outside of the kettle would help. what would you recommend?

in theory if you got the whirlpool cone to form nicely it would work just fine. with that set up i would put a 45 degree elbow in the bulkhead then the dip tube which would place the end of it up near the keg wall. chill whirlpool then drain. if you are really worried about trub/hops you can filter into the fermentor. my solution was to get a stainless steel mesh hop spider and that solved the problem for me.

Back